Chapter 20 [] Ender

I jolt awake. Petra is sitting next to me, smiling serenely at something on the vidscreen. Hummingbird documentary. Right. I was watching a hummingbird documentary with her. And fell asleep. On her.

"Mornin' sunshine," she says. "Bore you to death?"

"No," I mutter defensively. "It was so peaceful. An excellent recommendation. Thank you," I say more sincerely. She still watches the screen, not seeming to care.

"Thought you didn't wanna miss the meeting?" Hot Soup says from the doorway. I whirl around, and find him tapping his invisible wrist watch. "1240 hours right now. Time to go," he states, walking away. Petra shuts off the screen and stands up, following him out the door. I do my best to stay calm, standing up and straightening my uniform and hair, walking around the chair, and walking out the door to follow Petra.

†††

To save her? Who is 'her'? Why does she need saving? I stow all my new knowledge away into the chip and quickly get off the computer port. Lest they track me.

I check the time.

1240 hours.

I bolt from the station, careening around to check and see that the lunch I asked to be brought up here arrived. It did. I hear voices approach me. I want to bolt, to run, continue my search. I called this meeting. You called it I remind myself. I plonk myself into a nearby chair, and try to still my racing heart with some cheese and crackers.

It doesn't work.

[][][]

I don't know what to do with my hands. I put them in my pockets, then take them out and run them along the seam of my pants. I still trail behind the others, trying not to let my nerves betray me. I follow them through the library to the spot where we had our first meeting with her. We round shelf after shelf of books, winding our way through the stacks until we reach a small space with windows and couches and what we've learned are bean bags.

Kayleigh sits quietly on a couch, munching on some food. Hot Soup and Dink file in and take seats. Fly grabs some of whatever is on the trays and sits down. Petra ignores it and sits next to Kayleigh. I follow, sitting across from them. Cheese, meat, and crackers are on the trays, and I glance over to see Fly turning the portion he grabbed into a small sandwich.

†††

I sigh deeply, looking put the window as Fly and a few others munch on the cheese and crackers. I look towards the window, trying to think past my new information, reeling my focus back in from the outskirts.

"There's no easy way to begin this," I start, turning my head toward the food, avoiding eye contact with Ender and his friends. "What I am about to ask of you is pure treason." Hot Soup pales, eyes going wide. "So, this is your last chance out. I'm not going to make you do anything against your will." I make eye contact with every one of them. They look a bit... confused, but not one of them shy away from my gaze. I realize my glasses are still on.

"If you and Ender think it needs to be done, then we'll follow. Treason or no," Alai says firmly. Most everyone else nods, Petra dipping her chin slightly.

"Good," I say, clicking back my glasses. I stand up from my seat near Petra and walk over to the windows, preparing to close them for complete privacy.

-----------------------

"Where are they, Graff?"

"They all went into the library. We can't get a feed."

"What?"

"I know. I don't know what's happening or who they're with."