Confronting Him!

Song: Inner Demons By Julia Brennan

I didn't tell her, however she did take me home. We are at the red light and she keeps glancing over at me smiling.

"What?" I ask her in amusement.

"I need ice cream; you want ice cream?" She is smiling ear to ear.

"Uhm! I don't have any money but you can stop if you want." I tell her.

"My treat." She pulls up at one of the local ice cream shops. "Come on girl...we all need a treat every now and then."

I get out and walk in with her, amazed about how many flavors they have. It's overwhelming.

"What's your favorite?" she asks.

"Uhm....I've only had the kind at school so I don't really have a favorite."

She looks sad for a moment and then smiles, "Well look around, I'm sure you will find something yummy."

She orders a strawberry cheesecake while I am looking. Then I hear Weston talking beside me. "My favorite is the Key Lime Pie, you should try it."

"Too bad you can't taste it." I smile at him.

"What was that," says Mrs. Banks. "Sorry I thought you said something."

"Oh...no...just thinking maybe I'll try the Key lime pie." I smile back at her.

"Good choice, not many choose that flavor. I think I only had one student over the years to get that flavor."

"Really, do you remember who?"

"Of course...Weston." She smiles a sad smile, like she is trying to remember him.

"Really, interesting." I go to sit down beside her. As I take a lick Weston reaches over and licks it. I giggle.

"Mrs. Banks...you said he was in a nursing home right. Where is it?"

"It's on the other side of town as you are leaving out on the highway."

"Do you think anyone ever goes to visit him?"

"Well I'm sure his grandparents still do. I go every now and then. Why a sudden interest in Weston?"

"No reason...just makes me wonder if people visit that's all. I mean I would hope people came to visit me, you know."

I'm halfway eating my ice cream when I look up at the clock on the wall. It's already after five. I cringe at the thought of going home. I know she noticed my body tensing up.

"Cecilia what is it?"

"Uhm...I really need to get home is it alright if we leave now?"

"Sure we can go, come on."

We get back in the car and my scarf comes loose around my neck exposing the bruises. She pulls over on the side of the road. She looks over at me. "Cecilia what is really going on?"

"Nothing I swear, why do you keep asking me?"

"You have bruises all over your neck. Take it off let me look at it."

"Mrs. Banks it's nothing really." I tighten up the scarf.

"Cecilia I'm not moving this car until you show me."

"Fine I will walk the rest of the way." I open the door and get out. So does she and she walks down the sidewalk practically on top of me.

"Cecilia please." She sounds determined with concern.