Anya

Eliza was now determined to find out if Penelope had set off to Gretna Green to elope, or if her disappearance could be more sinister. She had her starting point, now she just had to find a picture of Penelope to take to the train stations.

After leaving the Tennyson's, she had the cab take her straight to the Vanderwahl's a few blocks away. She had wondered how to get Penelope's lady's maid alone and thought of excuses while stuck in traffic.

When they approached the Vanderwahl's brown brick two-story, she sent out her calling card. It was quickly declined as their butler informs Eliza that Lady Vanderwahl isn't home. Ecstatic, Eliza answers that she wishes to only speak to Anya about a brooch Eliza had lent to Penelope, saying she was desperate to retrieve it before her own mother returned home. Luckily, their butler bought the story and allows Eliza into the foyer. He ushers Anya upstairs and she could tell Anya was surprised to be called upon.

"Lady Eliza, I was told I could be of your assistance?" Anya asks curiously and Eliza darts her eyes to the butler who's still lurking nearby.

"Yes, you see I had lent Penelope my sapphire brooch a few weeks back and I realized I hadn't gotten it back. My mother will know it's missing, so I thought I'd pop by and see if you could retrieve it for me?" Eliza asks, but she can sense Anya isn't buying it.

She quickly shakes her head, "I'm not aware of any sapphire brooch my lady." Eliza wonders how to get Anya away from the butler so she can have a private conversation.

"Maybe I can draw it for you? Maybe if you saw it, you'd recognize it?" Eliza suggests and she tries to give Anya a look that conveyed, "Say yes!"

"Oh? Um, yes. I suppose you can do that. I think there's paper in the drawing-room. Why don't I take you there?" Anya replies and Eliza quickly nods. She follows Anya's white bonnet to the side room and then looks behind her to make sure they are finally alone. As Anya crosses over to the secretary Eliza says, "I don't actually require parchment Anya, I was just hoping to have a private word with you." Anya stops and spins around to face Eliza.

"Oh? About what my lady?" She asks timidly. Eliza knows Anya probably hasn't been called upon to have a secret discussion before, so she's not sure how to go about it.

"I'd assume it's safe to say that the both of us probably know Penelope better than anyone else, so I thought I'd ask you if you have any idea of where she could be?" Eliza quickly asks, hoping they won't be disturbed by any other members of the Vanderwahl's staff. Anya looks hesitant and Eliza can tell there's something on her mind. Eliza adds, "Do you know of anyone she could be with? Perhaps...possibly in the countryside?" Eliza hints as much as possible while eyeing Anya, hoping she'll feel safe enough to share Penelope's secrets. Anya bites her lip while darting her eyes nervously around. Eliza can tell there's something she wants to say and she wishes she could take the petite woman by the shoulders and shake it out of her.

"I..." Anya starts and then twists her hands together.

"Yes..." Eliza teases, taking a half step closer to Anya.

"Lady Vanderwahl already asked me if I had any idea," Anya finally admits while shaking her head.

"Yes, I'm aware. However, I thought perhaps that you might know something Lady Vanderwahl wouldn't want to know. Something you could tell me though. Perhaps Penelope is off with someone she shouldn't be?" Eliza asks, pleading that Anya will give her something. Anya still looks tortured. Wondering what to say and what to hold back. She wonders what Lucy would do in the same position. "Anya, if you know something please tell me. I won't tell Lady Vanderwahl, I just need to know if Penelope is safe. That perhaps she's safe somewhere in the countryside...or maybe she wanted to venture up to Gretna Green?" Eliza hints again, basically spelling it out for the maid. She softens her green eyes to plead with Anya and finally, after much hand twisting Anya quietly says, "I think you know that Lady Penelope was up to something. It's just that...if she did in fact leave somewhere, she took nothing with her. Nothing at all my lady."

"That would be most unusual yes? If she ran off with nothing?" Eliza asks and Anya nods. Eliza decides to become bolder.

"Anya, do you know who Penelope was sneaking around with? Do you have any idea?" Eliza asks. Anya quickly shakes her head, "I don't Lady Eliza, I only know it was someone she shouldn't have been. Lots of secrets Penelope was keeping. Even from me." Eliza wonders what else Anya could help her with. She doesn't seem to know much more than Eliza does. She wonders who else would know of Penelope's secrets and Eliza realizes she wouldn't tell her secrets to anyone, but she might write them down.

"Did Penelope keep a diary Anya?"

"Possibly. But if she did, I never seen it," Anya answers.

"Next time you tidy up her room, will you look to see if she hid one? Possibly under the mattress, in the headboard or any other secret hiding spot? She may have written down where she was off to," Eliza asks and Anya still looks hesitant.

"I don't know if I feel right rifling through Lady Penelope's things my lady," Anya answers and Eliza takes a step closer to her. Now close enough that she could reach out and grab Anya's trembling hands. Eliza knows the maids know everything, more than they'll ever admit to. Anya probably knows exactly where Penelope's diary is located, what color it is and how much parchment she has remaining.

"Anya, we are all very worried. Even if Penelope has done something that could potentially tarnish the Vanderwahl's name, we need to know she's safe. We need to know she's where she should be and not missing. I need your help Anya, I have no one else to turn to," Eliza pleads and she finally sees Anya drop her shoulders. She gives a reluctant nod and says, "I will check and let you know. I too am worried about her. She's done a lot of things a lady shouldn't, but this one is truly baffling. She's not one to vanish without a trace." Eliza nods. She hopes something will turn up and that Anya will be comfortable enough to bring it to Eliza. She can tell Anya is itching to leave, so Eliza finally says, "Thank you for your time Anya. I know we both want what is best for Penelope." Anya nods and turns to lead Eliza out of the drawing-room. Before they cross the threshold, Eliza spots a small pocket-sized photo of Penelope adorning the piano. She reaches out and silently plucks it off the shiny surface and stuffs it into her pocketbook.