7. A New Beginning

Mansi and Amit were busy with their exams for the next few days. The exams were over now and today they were shifting to their own place in Gurgaon. Both of their families were present at the small and intimate housewarming. When they left in the evening, the house suddenly felt awfully quiet and empty. Amit switched on the television and flicked through channels. Feeling overwhelmed, Mansi went to the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water. She took some deep breaths and closed her eyes. After feeling relaxed, she went to the living room where Amit was. Amit scooted over making space for Mansi to sit beside him on the couch. They ended up watching a movie on Netflix.

Amit and Mansi had an unspoken agreement. They did not discuss it but their boundaries were defined. They were taking it slow, trying to get to know one another and get settled into the married life.

Mansi fell asleep somewhere during the movie so Amit carried her to the bedroom. Next morning, Mansi woke up to sunshine pouring through the window. Amit wasn't in bed so she checked the time. It was a little past nine. She quickly showered and changed, rushing to the kitchen. Mansi wanted to inaugurate her new kitchen and surprise Amit with her cooking skills but Amit had already ordered breakfast for them and was setting up the table when Mansi entered.
Her face fell. Amit pulled out a chair for her on seeing her and they had breakfast in silence where Amit scrolled through his phone and Mansi just played with her food.

Mansi had called up her mother-in-law to ask for Amit's favourite dishes. After the call, she rushed to the kitchen to check if she had everything that was required for preparing lunch and on finding out that she was short on some ingredients, she went to the market. She got to work immediately on coming back.

It took about two hours but finally, the food was ready and the table was set. She went to wash up and realised that she hadn't seen Amit around. Mansi looked around the house but he was nowhere to be seen. Thinking that he might have gone out for some work and will be back soon, she decided to wait for him.

It was past five when Amit finally came back. The first thing that he saw upon entering the house was that the dining table was set but the food was untouched and he realized that Mansi was probably waiting for him. He found her sitting in the balcony, staring into nowhere. Amit cleared his throat to make his presence known. Mansi turned and their eyes met, Amit could see the sadness looming in them. He felt guilty, he apologized.

Upon hearing that Amit had gone out with his friends for lunch, Mansi's heart shattered. She just gave him a curt nod and turned to look the other way. Amit knew he had messed up but didn't know what to say so he just walked away.

Mansi's mind was blank.

At around eight, Mansi went inside and heated up the food. She went to the bedroom and saw Amit typing profusely on his laptop. As Amit looked at her, she gave him a small smile and asked him to come for dinner. Amit could sense her sadness and her demeanour was not the usual chirpy one. He followed her back to the dining table and sat down. Mansi served him the chicken curry and some rotis. Guilt consumed Amit on seeing the food. He understood the effort put in by Mansi and appreciated it.

The food was amazing and Mansi gave Amit a bright smile when Amit complimented her. Amit's heart gave an excited jolt at seeing her smile. After dinner, they were just flicking through the channels on the television when Amit's phone rang. He excused himself and went to the balcony to take the call. It had been a hectic day for Mansi and her body was slowly relaxing. Her eyes were starting to shut but she sat up as she heard Amit approach.

"Mansi, my friends are throwing a party tomorrow and they want us to come. Will you come with me?" Amit looked at her expectantly. He looked so cute, just like a kid and Mansi couldn't help but smile. She nodded her head to say yes and Amit walked back to the balcony with a big smile on his face.

As Mansi drifted to sleep, the last thought that crossed her mind was that she was finally going to meet Amit's friends...

**************

VOTE TO SHOW SUPPORT !!