2

Vanessa.

My mom almost sprinted to the door when she heard the car doors shut.

I heard talking, laughter and then exactly what I didn't want to hear

"Where's Vanessa?"

"She's in the kitchen doing homework, come on" my moms voice spoke, and I could hear them coming.

Two years without any male contact and you'd think I'd want this

But no

If I could've ran out the back door in time; I fucking would've.

I turned as I heard them enter, not wanting to be rude and stay looking away until I had to look.

All four were taller than my mom and I
They were all buff and built
All young, but yet

Not scary.

But could I stop myself from feeling the fear?

Of course I couldn't.

"Vanessa this is my boyfriend Luke and his best friends Calum, Michael and Ashton, guys this is my daughter Vanessa." My mom spoke, making us all look to each other for a second

"Nice to meet you" I spoke, breaking the silence with a small smile, thankful that my voice didn't crack.

"It's very nice to meet you also, we've been waiting for this." Luke smiled, his eyes never leaving me.

"Guys get comfortable, we have snacks and movies, it's a family night." My mom smiled, bouncing into the kitchen to grab a few cups, fixing the guys random drinks.

My mom and I made eye contact as they hung their jackets, continuing a conversation.

"See?" My mom mouthed, making me look back to them.

Michael pushed Ashton as they laughed, making Ashton lightly nudge Michael back, laughter spreading through the four of them.

"Come on" mom spoke, breaking me away from looking to them, making me look to her.

"Movies, you guys can pick"

I sat on the loveseat as everyone pretty much migrated to the couch, which I was okay with because I didn't want to sit by anyone.

The four of them argued over the movies, choosing between two scary ones, which I personally wasn't a fan of.

"Vanessa" Ashton spoke, breaking me out of my deep thought, making me look to him.

"Who should pick the movie?" He questioned, the four of them looking to me intently.

I didn't like all the attention on me,
I wanted them to look away as quick as I could make them

I shrugged lightly

"Come on, the movie I have is the best-" "is not!" Luke yelled towards Calum, making me smile lightly.

"Luke's pick" I spoke, gaining all eyes back on me.

"Ha" Luke laughed out with a grin.

He put in the movie, the boys sitting in defeat as Luke sent me a small wink, making me smile in response.

I pulled my blanket over my shoulders, zoning into the previews of the movie, praying that it wouldn't be too scary.

Five minutes into the movie I realized something

It was much scarier than I thought it was going to be.

I tucked my face into a pillow, pretending that I wasn't scared, but in reality, I was absolutely shitting.

Once the movie ended, I told myself one thing

I was sleeping with my mom tonight, I don't care if she wants me to or not,

We all stayed in the living room, the guys and my mom holding small conversations as I sat, staring into space while eating gummy bears.

"so Vanessa" Luke spoke, catching my attention

"How does your-" before he finished his sentence, the lights went completely out, making everything go silent.

"Not this again" my mom groaned lightly, making me remember how many times our lights have randomly went out, the electrical company blames it on a shortage that they can't seem to find.

"How long do they normally stay out?" Ashton asked after my mom explained the situation to them.

"Normally until morning" mom sighed

"Well it looks like we're having a slumber party at my house" Luke announced, making all the guys stand.

After much hesitation from my mom, I heard Calum say

"Would you rather freeze with no heat or electricity tonight or just sleep in our house with heat and literally anything else you could need?"

That very much made my moms mind up, which caused her to lead me upstairs with a flashlight, leaving me with Luke, who held a flashlight as I threw clothes into a small bag.

"You have a cool room" he spoke, making me glance to where he was looking, which was towards my desk, where my computer and fake plants sat.

"Thanks" I breathed out, turning as I zipped my bag, feeling successful in packing.

He stepped towards me, making me slowly inch backwards, not wanting him to be too close.

"Sorry- I didn't mean to make you feel-" "no you didn't, it's just- new" I spoke quietly, clearing my throat.

"You guys are really tall- and I guess it's just, intimidating" I spoke, making his eyebrows raise as if he wasn't expecting me to tell him that.

"We aren't even going to touch you unless you allow us to do so. You're in charge Vanessa, no one wants to hurt you, we just want to be here for you" he spoke, making me feel a familiar lump in my throat.

Why did I have a sudden urge to cry?

I gave a small nod, thankful that the lights were out.

"I appreciate that"