Life

He grew up with one misfortune after another.

Born to a family that didn't like him. His mother got pregnant at a young age and his father left the country to stay away from having to take care of him. His mother was unable to take care of him on her own so she left him at his grandparents house.

They didn't like him...

He was born to a whore of a child with no discipline. Who knows, maybe he'd grow to be one as well.

They mistreated him. His uncles and aunts who were only a year or two apart from him would beat him, push him to do dangerous things. His grandmother hated him the most, she would make him do all the chores in the house, saying that he had to earn his stay in their house.

He was only allowed to eat at night when everyone had gone to bed. After he had finished washing the dishes they had used, cleaned and mopped the entire house, washed the bathrooms, cleaned the kids bedrooms, and fed the house dog and as well as wash her.

After all that, that's when he was allowed to get the leftovers and eat. And after eating, he would grab the small blanket and lay on the floor of the basement room. He wasn't even allowed to sleep on the sofa.

He went to school with his uncles and aunt. He had three: Samuel, Katherine and Fred. They treated him like he was invisible, telling false stories to the other kids about him so no one would be his friend.

Despite all the mistreatment he went through, he never once showed his pain. He would always have a smile on his face, always be polite to those who looked down on him. Even though his own grandmother treated him like he was less than an animal, he was okay with that because she never kicked him out of the house, she never threw him out into the streets. He worked hard and obeyed her every command and did while thinking of it as his way of repaying her. Thanking her for giving him a roof above his head and feeding him—even if it was little to none—he still appreciated everything he had and never once thought of his childhood in a negative way.

That's how he survived in this world. That's how he was able to keep himself going. Even through the toughest times when he wasn't allowed to eat for days, or the times he was beat almost half to death, or the times he'd have to sit in the broom closet for hours during his uncles and aunt's birthdays because his grandmother said he wasn't allowed to, all those times, he never gave up and always looked for positive light to shine on each passing event.

He endured so much in his life and was able to get through them with a smile.

So why...

Why was he standing in the middle of the crossroad that night?

Why was he bawling his eyes out?

Why was he so hurt?

He was eighteen. His grandmother had no need to take care of him anymore—not that she ever did. She told him to get out of her house. Told him to never set foot in her presence. Told him to go rot with those whores that his mother used to play with.

He understood at first. It was okay, she had took care of him, he was old enough now. He could get a job and fend for himself now. Everything was okay.

Well...until that day came.

He went to work in the evening like always. He used to work at a car-awash. It was the only job he could find at the time since the other ones had been taken.

It made sense, after all, he had just graduated high school so a lot of students were crowding the other part time jobs.

Everything was okay, he got the same costumers and they had made a great connection so they'd give him a little tip before they left.

It was the man with the long beard and a red beanie that ruined it all. He was new, He had never seen him before. But none the less, he was kind and washed his car just as he did with the others.

When he was done, the man stepped out and inspected his vehicle to make sure it was clean enough.

He stroked his beard and turned to him with an intimidating and piercing glare. A sharp one that made him remember his grandmother, one that brought all the memories back into his head, one that showed him all the dark sides of his past.

He began trembling when the man walked close to him. "You call this cleaning?! You little shit! I travelled for eight hours and wanted to get my car washed and this is what you give me?!" The man barked, his saliva landing on the boys small face.

He didn't say anything, he was busy having flashbacks to even care about what the man was saying. The man continued on, but one sentence made him freeze. Just five simple words that felt like he was being hit by a knife made by the most skilled  blacksmith around.

"You useless piece of shit!"

Those word took him back further than he was expecting. At that moment, he dropped the sponge that was in his hands and just fell to his knees with a fountain of tears rolling down all at once. He didn't make a sound, his lips with parted a bit and eyes wide open from shock.

The man scoffed and left without even paying. Later that day, he got scolded by the manager and was cut from the next paycheck. When he was headed to his poor excuse of an apartment, he just lost it. He couldn't take it anymore, words started crowding his mind, reminding him of how useless and he was, what a burden he was, how it would've been better to just die earlier and not give his grandmother the trouble he caused her.

Actually, he shouldn't have been born in the first place, his mother would have had a better and happy life with her family it hadn't been for his arrival on this planet.

It was dark. As he reached the crossroad, the streets weren't as busy. He couldn't think straight, he just walked ahead and suddenly came to a stop.

That's when he started wailing greatly, this time, his voice was audible. He screamed at the top of his lungs and tugged at his hair a couple times. He didn't like this anymore, he knew his life wouldn't get any better than this so what was the point of living anymore?

"Please don't do it!"

His eyes widened. Who was that? There's no way they were talking to him. Why would they?

"Get out of the way!"
The last thing he heard was a car honking and his body being thrown to the ground.

🍧