5.4) Plot Point Two

It's the end of Act II and all is lost. A Protagonist must work hard to get what they want or lose everything.

Plot Point Two signals the end of Act II.

Plot Point Two will be a low point for your protagonist. Their actions since the middle have caused disaster. At Plot Point Two, they become more determined to reach their goal.

Famous Second Plot Points

Note: there are story spoilers, so don't read this section if you want to read the book or see the movie.

Gone Girl: Amy comes home and lies about being kidnapped. Nick wants nothing more to do with her, but can't get away. Amy will frame him for attempted murder if he leaves her. Life looks bad for Nick.

The Martian: Mark leaves his base for the final time and has to cover 3000 km in a hostile environment. If he misses the window for the crew to pick him up, he'll die on Mars. This is serious motivation.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: Harry encounters Voldemort in the Dark Woods. Voldemort tries to kill Harry, but a centaur rescues Harry. Harry will have to confront Voldemort at some point if he's going to survive.

Twilight: A vampire wants to go after Bella for her blood, and Bella must leave Forks. Bella wants to survive.

Placement Of Plot Point Two

Plot Point 2 should be somewhere around the 75% mark in your novel. If this plot point comes too late, the story will feel like it's dragging. If it comes too early, the story may feel rushed or lacking in depth.

\