Chapter 33: Kimberley

I take my tomahawk and slash it across the Union soldiers face.  It leaves a scar as he yells painfully covering his face with his hands giving me time to kick up into his stomach then ribcage.  His eyes pop open at the feeling, and for good measure I punch him across the head. He falls limply to the ground but is still breathing, only slightly. 

                I feel a huge arm wrap around my neck holding me in a head lock.  I scratch at the arm panicking. I kick and struggle under the grip, but my vision becomes blurry and it feels like my lungs are collapsing.  All the sudden the man releases me and I fall to the ground gasping for air.  I turn around to the man lying on the ground, his head bleeding.  Someone shot him. 

                “Kimberley,” I turn my head to James calling to me from behind the couch.  “Get up!  You’re not dead yet!”  That’s James.  Always there to reassure us.  I see his gun pointed in my direction.  He killed the union.  Why, doesn’t he want me dead?

                I hear a noise and it comes from the Unions mouth.  I get on the ground and crawl over to him a knife in my hand.  I’m about to strike when I hear him laughing. I stop and lean my head down towards him.  Blood fills his mouth and a pool begins to form under his head.

                “What’s so funny?!”  I snarl.  “You’re about to die.”              

                “You don’t know what’s coming.”  The soldier says faintly but still getting the words out of his mouth, splattering some blood on the floor.  “All you bastards have no idea of what is going on right now.”

                “What I’m wondering is why you’re attacking us when we’re not the greatest threat.”  I snap.  It’s true the US military is always alert.  Why are they after just the Outcast tribes?

                “Because you’re just the test.  If we can get what we want here then we will be able to get head commander for the US army . . . and then . . . it will be synch to assassinate the president.  The Union will just be one step closer to victory.”  And like that I stab him in the head. I couldn’t hear any more. I turn away as I do it.  I hate watching the people who shutter and gurgle as I take their life.

                So we are like their training dummies.  We are their training opponents.  It’s just they said they were after the Commander.  Head in command.  Then it hits me.  The leader of the facility here, not Commander but Sargent, Captain.  “Carson!”  I scream.  I head down to the hall and out of the mass of chaos and up a flight of stairs to Carson’s quarters.  She isn’t here.

                I growl and slam the door shut.  Where is she?  But I already know the question.  She’s fighting.  I shake my head in frustration.  Maybe they don’t know who she is.  But of course they do, Unions have spies all over the US.  They wouldn’t have come here unless they were sure they knew who the leader was. 

                Where is Carson?  I stop to think quickly.  I run back into the room trying to dodge the fights going on between the soldiers and Outcasts.  Then I run into one and feel the soldier pin my arms to my sides.  “Where do you think you’re going sweet heart?”