Chapter 39: Kimberley

They don’t understand, none of them do.  That’s why I left.  I almost did it again today.  I could’ve killed another American.  I’m just a murder.  Yes, that’s exactly what I am.  A murder. 

                Without even thinking I take out knife and clutch it in my hand.  I start to feel tears run down my eyes.  If I live any longer then people will surly die.  People that don’t need to.  I look up into the sky still having the knife at my side. 

                “Thinking that will solve all your problems?”  I spin around expecting to see Jason, but it’s Blake.  They sound similar if you’re not looking at them.

                “It will solve a lot of other people’s problems.”  I confess my voice cracking and my eyes blurring up with tears. 

                “Maybe, but it will cause a lot more problems in the future.”  He says walking up next to me. 

                “Like?” I challenge.                                                                                                           

                “Like never seeing Jama again, or Logan, or the Lodge, or us.  We would never get over that fact.   Do you really want to take your life?  Just because you made a mistake, on somebody who probably deserved to die.  Or wanted to.” 

                “Why do you think he would want to die?”  I ask.

                “Probably didn’t have any family here or had nothing to live for.  Why do you think he kept winning?  He was probably waiting for someone stronger than he was so he could die fighting.”  He says.

                “Or he just kept winning.” I say. 

                “He wouldn’t get any money that way.  He just stayed in there until you came up.  You didn’t see it because you were getting ready for the fight, probably thinking if something else.  Kim, his eyes flashed for minute with sadness.  I saw it.  It was only for a second though, then he grew to anger and hatred.  But . . . if I think about it, the people there probably all wanted to die.”

                “You drink way to many Vodka and soda drinks.”  I snap.  “Lay off them.” 

                “Think about it.  That place is death waiting to happen.  That bar is the only place men go and some women.  Why do we get ourselves drunk?  To forget. Those people, they want to forget everything and whoever steps into that ring that was there was probably waiting to die.  They just want death to be over and done with.  That man couldn’t be killed by anybody so he decided to kill people.  You killed him. You put him out of his misery.”  I take in all of what he’s saying.  I feel the tears still running down my face in a hot mess. 

                “Listen to me,” Blake continues in a more demanding voice, putting one hand on my shoulder, coming a little closer to me, “You’re not a bad person.  You’re only a bad person when you kill the innocent people, okay.”  He can see it’s hard for me to breathe so he puts his other hand on my shoulder.  “Do you understand me?”