CHAPTER 9 - YOUR SMILE

- Kieran -

I woke up to an empty bed.

When will she stop running away from me?

I grunted and sat up, turning to the bedside table. I spotted a sticky note.

- I have a convention to attend. See you tonight after work. Alina  -

I smiled and the heaviness in my heart from waking up alone, dissipated.

My phone vibrated and I picked it up, "Good morning Lucy."

"Kieran, I've sent your suit to the address you've given me. You have an event to attend in an hour. Please get ready, Richard is waiting out front to drive you to the place," she instructed and I held back a yawn.

I pushed the sheets aside and strode to the bathroom, "Got it, I'll go get ready asap."

"Are you at Miss Simmons' house Kieran?"

"I am."

"Will you be there for the next two days?"

"I'm not sure, I'll have to ask Alina about that."

"Of course. But just in case, I've placed a few extra sets of clothes with Richard."

"Thank you Lucy."

"Treat her right Kieran, she's just as broken as you are."

Maybe, but my soul was darker.

I hung up and shrugged a bathrobe on, retrieving my clothes and toiletries from Richard who was invited into the vast living room.

After a quick shower, I dried myself off and stared at the man in the mirror.

His dark eyes seemed oddly lighter, the muscles in his face weren’t as sunken as usual and his expression was overall happier.

What has happened to me?

“We’re running late Mr Knight, please hurry. I won’t hear the end of it if Lucy finds out you’re late to an event,” Richard called out and I took a deep breath, ignoring the strange man staring back at me.

I got dressed in the sharp tuxedo Lucy ordered for me to wear and was soon on my way to the venue. 

"This event is for Alina am I right?" I asked Richard.

He nodded and looked at me from the rearview mirror with a smile, "Yes it is. It's for her appointment as new CEO. I heard from Lucy that you're dating her, even gave her a ring."

Well I did but she gave it back to me.

"Stop by a florist, I need to buy something for Miss CEO."

***

- Alina -

The crowd was streaming into the halls. I kept my business smile on and welcomed all the well wishes for my takeover.

It was disorienting, everyone wanting my attention to talk about the future prospects of having sponsorship from my bank. As much as I was in the zone, I couldn’t hold it up for the full six hours of the event.

And barely 30 minutes have passed. 

Plus last night's activities with Kieran really drained me.

I took a deep breath, I'll be fine. Grace and poise.

And my mother's favourite line, "Be as bold as your lipstick."