Ch. 20: A Change of Heart

Naqam didn't sleep that night. After they had returned to the inn, they had gone to their shared room. He'd listened as Hatter's breath turned deep, then sat up and silently dressed. Moonlight bouncing off the freshly fallen snow made the night bright as a brand new silver coin.

Quiet as an owl on the wing, Naqam went back down to the common room, stamping into his boots there before donning his cloak. The snow crunched as he made the short sprint to the stables, careful to keep to the deepest shadows lest there were hostile eyes still watching.

The stables were windtight and cozy. Naqam recognized the handiwork and attention to detail, and wondered if Shan had let Hatter build this as a favor. The layout was open, the stalls only coming up to Naqam's ribcage. 

Dell nickered sleepily, ears pricking toward Naqam with interest. Hatter's black beast didn't even look toward the door, dozing with ears at a relaxed angle and eyes closed. Naqam huffed a warm breath into his chilled fingers, then took off his cloak, tossing it over the saddle resting on the wall of Dell's stall.

He went to the small closet in the back left-hand corner and collected an armful of grooming supplies. Then he let himself into Dell's stall, dropping the brushes into the clean straw. Even though Dell's pale golden coat was already clean, Naqam picked up the currycomb and began at her shoulder. He brushed in slow circular strokes like Hatter had taught him, letting his mind wander.

Dell shifted on her feet, leaning toward him as he brushed her. The clean smell of the horses mixed with the sweet hay and crackling straw soothed his overwrought nerves.

Naqam groomed the horse in silence, thinking. Truly thinking, for the first time in his life. Thinking for himself, for his future and how he would be remembered in the annals of history.

The sun was rising slowly in the north, the sunlight crisp by the time Naqam stopped brushing. His hands splayed flat against Dell's now-silky hide and he murmured, "I don't want to go back to the Hearts."

The horse flicked an ear back toward him. A snort from Hatter's mount warned him a moment before the door opened, and he looked up to find a familiar silhouette in the doorway. The bright morning light made him squint until his eyes adjusted and he found Hatter watching him with a raised eyebrow.

Silence settled around them for a moment, like the tranquility of the snowy morning had seeped in through the door behind Hatter. Naqam's heart pounded hard in his chest and he had to clear his throat twice before he managed to say what he'd been thinking for longer than he wanted to admit.

"I want to stay." His voice remained raspy, but he didn't look away. "I want to... return to Spade Castle with you."

And Hatter didn't blink, didn't balk. He just nodded slowly. "Well all right then."

No questions, no rebuttals. Just an acceptance of Naqam's decision.

"We'll eat something," Hatter said as Naqam moved to put the brushes back in their proper place, "then we'll head home."

It would have been less shocking if Hatter had taken a knife and shoved it through Naqam's heart. All he could do was gape at the man. Hatter gave him a wry smile and said, "It'll grow on you. Eventually you'll stop thinking you don't deserve one."

Naqam looked down, his vision blurring slightly. He grabbed his cloak and followed Hatter outside, trudging through the snow that had drifted nearly to their knees in some places.

A table was already set with hearty breakfast of thick porridge, applewood smoked bacon and...

"Shan," Hatter muttered under his breath, followed by a few choice words as they sat down.