Apocalyptic and Dying Earth Fantasy

by MarcoBaier

by MarcoBaier

The Darker Side of Science Fantasy

If you are fascinated by Apocalyptic Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction, and Dying Earth Fiction/Fantasy, look for a few movie and book recommendations, or simply want to know more about these kinds of stories in general, tag along on this dive into the rabbit hole to learn more about the Darker Side of Science Fantasy—and yes, I mean Science Fantasy, which is a mixed genre that draws upon and/or combines tropes and elements from both science fiction and fantasy (and sometimes horror).

Good old Star Wars is a prime example of the genre.

But we are not here to talk about Science Fantasy, but of his darker sub-genre dealing with the End Times or better yet still: the End of the World—and I mean our world; good old Earth, with time being the great separator of the genres. Apocalyptic Science Fiction is leading up to or situated around a civilization shattering event, Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction is situated directly after said event or in the not too distant future (which in this context may still be a few hundred years) and Dying Earth Fiction/Fantasy is set at the far end of the spectrum: at the literal end of the planet.

So much for the technicalities, but what is it that makes these genres interesting?

For me, it is the two "C"s: Chaos and Change. 

There is a certain element of beauty in destruction; after all, are we not drawn to stories of conflict, rather than peace and harmony? Nobody feels entertained by: "And nothing happened and they lived happily ever-after..."

No, we long for, even thirst after, upheaval, for it is the soil in which the seed of change is planted. And Change is something we both lust after and are afraid of—which is partially why these kinds of stories are so eternally fascinating to us. Civilization shattered, its remnants driven to savagery, ruined landscapes and the great wonders of our time laid low, destruction on a planetary scale, despair, but also the fight for survival, of growth through pain, are strong elements in Apocalyptic and Post-Apocalyptic fiction.

Like Nietzsche said: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

"