Chapter 15 - Part 1

Westminster Abbey Monuments

Dame Elizabeth Carteret

Her monument originally consisted of her figure ascending from a sarcophagus extending a hand to an angel

Her monument originally consisted of her figure ascending from a sarcophagus extending a hand to an angel. In an arch a group of cherubs were shown in clouds. There was also a coat of arms. The inscription was on a narrow slab. By 1847 the monument had become dilapidated and was taken down by Lord John Thynne, Sub-Dean of the Abbey and representative of the Carteret family. He took all but the inscription slab to Hawnes (or Haynes) Park in Bedfordshire.

Elizabeth was born on 30th December 1663 and baptised at St Martin in the Fields church in London. At age 13 she married her kinsman Sir Philip Carteret (died 1693) 2nd Baronet of St Ouen, Jersey in the Channel Islands. Her son Charles was baptised at St Margaret's Westminster on 4th June 1679 with Charles II as one of his godfathers. He was Gentleman of the Privy Chamber to Queen Anne and High Bailiff of Jersey. In 1693 he succeeded as 3rd Baronet and married Mary, daughter of Amias Carteret. His son James had no surviving issue so the title became extinct.