Chapter Forty Four

"What the hell do you think you're doing!" Nate yelled at them. Brooke and Jasper were running alongside us, and my eyes widened as I saw them. 

"We wanted to come with you! You also lied Nathaniel! You said I could go with her and then you go and change your mind! You said you weren't going to go with her either! Now, look at what you're doing!" Jasper yelled. Nate glared at the both of them but they both ignored him. 

"We have to go back! My friends! They will be killed!" I shouted tears streamed down my face as I thought of my friends who were just arrested. 

"We can't, Ana! I'm sorry about your friends but we can't do anything for them! They'll be fine, I promise!" Nate yelled out. 

"You're being selfish! I can't believe you! You will let my friends be killed because of me! Nate, please!" I screamed out. But it was no use, Nate was ignoring me and we just kept running and suddenly I saw, the bright light at the end of the tunnel. 

I shielded my eyes from the bright light as we finally stopped running. 

"We made it!  We're outside of North Carolina!" Nate exclaimed. I removed my hand from eyes and once my eyes adjusted, I gasped. Everything was green and filled with flowers, there was a river that gleamed from the sun, the air smelled so fresh and filled with freedom. I couldn't believe my eyes. 

"Nate, what do we do now?" I asked. Nate looked at me and then at Jasper and Brooke. 

"I don't know" he answered. For the first time in my life, I was free. However, my friends got arrested for helping me, I had to set this right, this wasn't right. And for once, my brother wasn't being the good guy that he always is. 

"We have to go back! This isn't right! What about my friends? My fake parents? Our dogs! W-We left them behind!" I cried. This could not be happening. This wasn't how my life was supposed to turn out. 

"I left Minnie with a good friend of mine, Mickey will be just fine with your fake parents, I'm sorry about them and your friends. But we have to keep moving forward," Nate said as he held onto me securely. 

"You are being a terrible person! I can't believe you!" I sobbed. I pounded on his chest for him to put me down, this was wrong, I was hurting everybody. I had gotten my best friend Rachael killed, she accepted me without judgment, my other friends got arrested just for helping me. This was wrong, all wrong but my brother just kept on ignoring me. 

"Ana, I have to keep you safe. No matter what happens, I am always going to protect you. Now come on, we need to go into hiding," Nate said. And with that being said, he led the way to an unknown destination.