Chapter 5 - Half

The ride back to the Castle seemed far too short. It seemed as if Grace had only blinked before they were already pulling up to the front gates. In hindsight, Grace wished that she had stayed in that day. So much for taking some time off to think things through.

As the gates opened, Vivian seemed strangely nervous as well. It was explained when she turned to Grace and said with a quick laugh.

"Duval does not know that I'm coming. He's not expecting me for another few days. I am coming early to surprise him."

"He'll probably be happy to see you here now." Grace told her truthfully. Why wouldn't he be happy to see his beautiful fiancee?

That seemed to calm the woman somewhat and so by the time Beth opened the doors for them to step out, Vivian looked as beautiful and serene as a princess. Grace on the other hand, felt dirty, sweaty and tired. She also didn't want to have to see the assuredly happy reunion that was going to take place between Duval and Vivian.

Getting out, she offered to help Beth and Jack carry the suitcases into the house where Vivian had already disappeared. They refused but she reached in and grabbed Vivian's smaller carry-on suitcase. But when she tried to lift it out, a large tanned hand stopped her. For a moment, her heart pounded and she grew dizzy thinking it was Duval but then she turned and realized that it was Adrian standing there.

"Let me help." He told her and lifted the suitcase out easily.

He also took the other two pieces of luggage from Beth and Jack and lugged it all into the house. Then he came to such an abrupt stop that Grace almost ran into him.

Wondering why he'd stopped, Grace peeked her head around his broad form.

She couldn't quite stop the small gasp that escaped her lips. Luckily, nobody heard her except for Adrian who didn't show any reaction other then a quick glance down at her.

Vivian and Duval were locked in a passionate embrace a few feet down the hall. Her slim hands were entwined in the silky locks of his hair as they kissed. His hands gently caressed her back with familiar sensuality. Oh God, of course. After all, that was his fiancée. His lover.

God she was such an idiot.

Grace blindly turned away. She hardly noticed that Adrian was quickly unloading Vivian's luggage onto the ground with a silent curse. All she was aware of was that it was as if time had been turned back ten years and once again, she was a foolish young woman who was jealous of her own sister when she once caught sight of them kissing.

She didn't know where she was going but somehow she ended back up on the beach. Her shoes were long gone, kicked off a few steps back.

Grace didn't cry as she slowly walked. She only thought about quietly packing up her things and leaving in the morning as early as possible. How much more closure did she need then this?

With the waves of the ocean crashing, she didn't hear the light sounds as Adrian's lanky form drew up next to her.

"Hey." He jogged in front of her and stopped, forcing her to do the same thing.

Grace knew that she wasn't showing any emotion on her face so she wasn't quite sure how Adrian was able to figure out what he did.

"You're in love with him." He said flatly.

"No." She lied. Perhaps she hadn't been as discreet in her feelings as she had thought she was.

"You are." He said. "Don't lie to me."