13 | heinous crime

____________________

Catastrophes, contrivances
The latest heinous crime
Are passing shows, the real news
Is the stillness, beyond time.

- Rumi, Catastrophes

____________________

Warning: Graphical violence ahead in the chapter.
Proceed at your own discretion.

__________•__________

Spring, 1860
Cloverville | Louisiana

Elijah's heart picked up as he heard the carriage coming to a stop in front of the mansion. He was hoping it would be Adelia. He had not seen her for a while and every time a carriage would stop, his heart would betray him for no reason.

She had been spending too much time in the plantations and a part of him was missing her serene presence. As if a wish come true, she appeared in the parlour removing her gloves, not noticing the Original before the witch proceeded to move upstairs. He cleared his throat, startling her as she turned around, a smile spreading across her face.

"Mr. Mikaelson," Adelia muttered.

He got up from the chair and walked towards her. "Miss Laurentis, I haven't seen you in days."

"I apologize," she said before gripping her books closer to her chest. "I am in a hurry and merely came to put these off," the witch motioned towards the book to his disappointment. "I will have a tea service arranged in the evening, Mr. Mikaelson." She gave a nod before stepping back and moved to leave.

Involuntarily, Elijah's hand shot out to grab Adelia's wrist as the books tumbled to the floor. She looked down at his hand and immediately knelt down to pick the fallen items, avoiding looking at him.

He knelt alongside her and watched closely, his thumb prickling with the rapid pulse of her soft wrist.

It was maddening.

"May I join you?" he asked and she glanced up curiously, "To the plantation. I have nothing better than to idle away in misery."

Adelia hesitated but then nodded hurriedly and got up. She politely squirmed her hand within his clutch and he let go immediately, feeling the mortification just as equally.

The witch exiting the room with her belongings to come down a few minutes later. Elijah joined her inside the carriage as the driver shut the door with a bang jolting her out of the book she was perusing.