CHAPTER THIRTEEN

KHAI HAD BEEN RESTLESS FOR the past three days and it was catching up to him now in this meeting

His focus kept wavering in and out, catching only bits and pieces. He hoped it was nothing important because his mind kept telling him sleep, sleep, sleep.

The splitting image of Mazeeda sleeping was what he wanted to do himself. She was the very reason he was going mad, his eyes shot red like the horizon sun, his clothes a day old.

“Caliph?”

Khai's eyes shot up. “Yes?” He was never good in political things, at least not until he found him. He looked at each and every one of his advisors.

“If we really want this alliance with Salidah, we must break the one we have with Iskawr,” Zane proclaimed --one of the newest councilmen.

They were speaking of the small country southwest of Yaheisea run by mountain men. Khai's eyes flicked to Amon's face, which was cold and passive. Not a flicker of emotion.

“No,” the Caliph told all twelve men, “we will not.”

“But...but,” Zane stumbled out, “our alliance with them are already unstable.”

“We, no, I will not tamper our bond with Iskawr by betraying them and allying ourselves with their enemy country. Must I remind you of the war we've only recently ended with them.”

“Salidah is twice the size of this mountain country, Caliph. And they have materials we could use.”

Such a sad thing for everyone to be under the veil Khai put them under, something he was not going to lift. At least, not when he was under the smallgod's power too.

Because no one shall know the truth, that was the deal --no one but Amon, or else ruin would fall everywhere.

His voice deepened in authority. “My word is final and we will not betray our loyalist country.”

Everyone fell silent at the long table before the slamming of the door behind the king penetrated through it.

Khai turned his head and found Adelah, breathless. His breath caught in his throat.

“The Malika has woken.”

And those words, and them alone, were enough for Khai to go running.