CHAPTER SIXTEEN

FANI MEANT WELL AND DID not mean to eavesdrop, but the group of men in the other room spoke rather boisterous

FANI MEANT WELL AND DID not mean to eavesdrop, but the group of men in the other room spoke rather boisterous. She kept quiet like she had all her life to listen to what they were saying.

Staying hidden against the crumbling wall, Fani exhaled slowly to calm her nerves. She was here to collect money for her family, not to gloat.

"This is our only chance though," a raspy voice told the group of men. "We do it now or else it's too late."

Someone cleared their throat. "I agree," the second voice supported. "It's a rare occasion, not even the Caliph celebrates his own birthday."

The spy knitted her brow in dubiety but kept quiet, gathering the information she needed to connect the dots together.

A more quiet and stern tone pierced through. "Fools, fools, fools. After all these years, you wish to do it now?"

The first voice was back to defend his idea. "Now, Razi, because it has been said that a girl has calmed the beast. If there is no killing spree, there is no fear, therefore it gives the people of Yaheisea hope. We are to instill in that in them, not some girl. We kill the queen first, and when the Caliph starts his hunt once again, it is then that we will kill the king and reassure the people that they are in our good care."

"I agree with Cadoc," the second voice said.

If there's three of them, Fani concluded, there must be more.

There was a moment of silence. "Fine," Razi relented. "We strike at Amon's party. But we only kill the queen."

Fani covered her mouth in horror. Her mind went back to the night she turned the queen in to the thieves, not knowing who the woman was. It was only then when she saw the Caliph and his right hand man come to save her did she realise who she dealt with.

Guilt poisoned her system from that day forward, the look of betrayal never leaving her mind. She didn't mean to sell the Malika off, she was desperate for money.

She needed to tell Mazeeda, somehow, she had to warn her. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if Mazeeda died because she did not have the courage to speak up.

Yes, that's what I'll do, she reassured herself.

The hardest part was finding a way into the qasr.