Chapter 11

The next morning, I wake up to see Neil has already woken up and is straightening his clothes given that both of us had fallen asleep cuddling in their own clothes.

Neil turns to see I've woken up: 'Good morning beautiful, come on we gotta go.'

'Hmm, 5 more minutes', I mumble, causing Neil to chuckle as he sits down on the edge of the bed. He reaches his hand out and strokes my cheek. I lean into it, still a bit sleepy.

The professors hurry down the steps of the chapel, lead by an obviously agitated Mr. Nolan. Several of the professors are carrying newspapers in their hands. All of us students rise as they enter. After all the professors have taken their places, Mr. Nolan addresses us, 'Sit.' And we oblige. 'In this week of Welton's Honor there appeared a profane and unauthorized article. Rather than spend my valuable time ferreting out the guilty persons - and let me assure you I will find them - I'm asking any and all students who knows anything about this article to make themselves known here and now. Whoever the guilty persons are, this is your only chance to avoid expulsion from this school.'

Then suddenly we hear a phone ringing. I can see the professors look about for its source, then everyone sees Charlie pick up a telephone receiver.

'Welton Academy. Hello', he states grinning, 'Yes, he is. Just a moment. Mr. Nolan, it's for you. It's God. He says we should have girls at Welton.' Most of the students laugh while the boys from the cave and I all shake their heads in disbelief.

Not many moments later he was dragged away by Mr Nolan. We were all dismissed to our rooms. There the boys and I all waited in Todds and Neils room silently. Neil sat on his bed, with me on his lap and his arms around my waist as he lays his head down on my shoulder and mine leans against his. Only when we hear some mumbling and shuffling in the hallway all of us get up. There we see Charlie stiffly walking back to his room. Neil was the first to talk, 'You kicked out?'

'No.'

'So what happened?' He asks carefully.

'I'm to turn everybody in, apologize to the school and all will be forgiven', Charlie states still not looking at us.

'So, what are you gonna do?' Neil asks, not getting an answer, 'Charlie!'

'Damn it, Neil' Charlie smiles and then shuts his door, 'The name is Nuwanda.'

Charlie sits with his bongos as the other boys and me are all crowded around him. He hits the bongos as he mimes Nolan's footsteps. I sit on Neils lap while Charlie talks. His arms are around my waist, his chin on my shoulder.

'Creak. He started walking around towards my left. Creak. Creak. "Assume the position, Mr. Dalton."' Then the door opens to reveal my dad. Many of the boys get up from their seats. 'It's all right, gentlemen.' Motioning to them that they can remain seated.

'Mr. Keating', Charlie smiles.

'Mr. Dalton. That was a pretty lame stunt you pulled today.'

'You're siding with Mr. Nolan?' Charlie question, 'What about Carpe diem and sucking all the marrow out of life and all that?'

'Sucking the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone', My dad explains, 'Sure there's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.'

'But I thought you'd like that', Charlie states disappointed.

'No. You being expelled from school is not daring to me. It's stupid, 'cause you'll miss some golden opportunities.'

'Yeah. Like what?' Charlie states sarcastically.

'Like, if nothing else, the opportunity to attend my classes. Got it, Ace?'