Chapter Sixteen

"Wait, I could be wrong..." Andrew frowned. His finger was following the old smudged writing in the frail book.

Lily's heart stopped as she was focused on what Andrew just said. What was in that book? Did he actually know? Or was he trying to pull her strings again? She took a hesitant step forward, silence locked around her throat.

Jack jumped in front of her. "What!" She yelled. "You can't just say you know what she is and then back track, dude!"

Andrew grabbed his hair, then the book, too filled with excitement to keep still. "I know! I know! Just, hang on a minute!" 

"We've been hanging on for what feels like forever, Lily's been asking this question for her entire life. If you have an answer then say it!" Jack snapped. Ryan subtly stood between the witch and his alpha.

Lily was still too shocked to even speak. She was just staring at Andrew, at his old book, and her heart was racing a million miles a minute. If he was wrong, she was going to scream.

"What..." Lily gulped, clearing her throat from the lump stuck inside. "What am I?"

"Wait." Andrew held up a finger, his eyes darting across the page. "Okay I have an idea on what you are." 

Jack threw her hands up, rings sparking. The plant resting on a bookshelf flared its petals as her magic bounced off her jewels. "Oh for Pete's sake!"

Ryan stepped forward. "That's a summary page, right 'Drew?"

Lily's heart was hammering so loudly in her chest she was getting dizzy. She held onto the chair as she sat back down, trying to get her breathing under control.

Andrew nodded. "This...it doesn't say what you are, but what qualities you might have, if I'm right."

"What does it say?" Ryan asked, peering over his shoulder. Most of his attention was still on Lily, who had her eyes shut and was breathing deeply. 

"I can't read the writing," Andrew admitted. "It's my grandfather's scruffy writing."

"Give it here." Jack moved to stand behind the desk with Andrew and Ryan, her sharp eyes making out the faded cursive. "It's a diary entry."

Ryan blinked. "This is his Alpha's log?"

Andrew shrugged. "Must be."

"You guys have a log?" Jack squinted, sceptical.

"Some Alphas choose to, for the future alphas to read and learn, or for pack history." Andrew explained, running a hand through his dark curls. "My father had one too, somewhere in this hoard of books." 

The fuzz in Lily's head died as she focused on his words. If the alphas kept records like that, they would out-date the school library. They might have a clue on what she is. Andrew might be right - this could hold the answers she's been searching for.

"What does it say?" Lily said quietly. She turned and stared Andrew down. "What did your grandfather say that made you think of me?"

Andrew stared at her, assessing her, before motioning for Jack to read. The witch gently brushed the page with her fingers and began reading the old alpha's journal. Silence enveloped the room as she mouthed the written text, focusing on getting to the important details for Lily.

"Oh yuck!" Jack scrunched up her face.

"What is it?" Ryan asked, leaning forward.

"It's a love letter." Jack gagged. Lily sat on the edge of her seat as Ryan hung his head. Andrew smirked.

"Some girls find that kind of thing romantic, you know." Andrew teased.