Chapter Ten

Jack was right as usual; Niall was annoyingly loyal. They'd been parading around Tyrill for hours already, Jack had forgotten most of what she'd seen, and all the comments she'd made about the two mysterious supernaturals also in Tyrill had been swatted aside by his unwavering promise to keep their identities a secret.

"I'm not telling you Jack, it's not my place." Was all he would say, again and again, but Jack wasn't giving up. She crossed her arms, glaring at him even though he couldn't see her look.

"Niall I'm just saying if we're eaten by a pack of rogues tonight, I'm going to haunt you." Jack said. She looked at Lily to see if she'd back her up, but Lily's eyes were roaming over Tyrill's large wood cabins and the surprisingly abundant array of snow-gear shops. "Lily will haunt you too." She added for good measure, capturing Lily's attention.

"Who am I haunting?" Lily asked.

"Niall."

"Why?"

"We're going to die by a pack of rogues tonight and it's his fault because he didn't tell us the mystery supernatural was a werewolf." Jack beamed at her friend, not blind to the rapid blush on Niall's cheeks. His violet eyes were dancing around them all and his hand drifted out to stabilise himself.

Jack also wasn't blind to how he used is right hand so Lily had to be the one to grab him. Hmm. "Are you in league with the rogues, nymph?" Jack taunted. "Do you want to see Lily and I dead?"

"No!"

"Then tell us what your boyfriend and girlfriend are!"

"They're not-I mean," Niall bit his lip. "I can't tell you anything about them."

"You let slip one was a witch."

"You jumped to conclusions and I didn't correct you, Jack." Niall's grip on Lily's hand tightened.

"Ha! So I'm right!" Jack rubbed her hands in glee, her rings sparking with her magic. Jack ignored the jasmine flowers along the wall that suddenly bloomed - no one would notice a non-winter plant blooming in winter, right?

"Jack, this is meant to be a tour, not an interrogation." Lily said and looked to Niall. "The rogues haven't been after us for long but they've been pretty, um, determined to find us. We've had a few close calls."

"A few?" Jack muttered. "More like several."

"Can you at least tell us if they're werewolves?" Lily asked, her large brown eyes staring deep into Niall's violet. Jack was silently cheering her on. Yes. Puppy dog eyes, great tactic. Please work, please work, please work-

"I-uh," Niall stammered. "Look, I've known them for years, before this rogue hunt for us. I promised them I wouldn't say anything; I really can't say more."

Lily smiled. "That's okay. If it was before the hunt, then it was before Yuric, right Jack?"

Jack was still glaring at Niall. "Because that's a rock-solid fact right there."

"Jack-"

"Nah, nah, I get it Lily." Jack shrugged. "I'll write my will tonight. Would you like my collection of voodoo dolls?"

Lily snorted. Niall laughed awkwardly. "How many do you have?" He asked, letting Lily's hand go and drifting down the path. He was wearing shoes today but Jack noticed his feet always hovered slightly off the ground - he left no footprints behind on the wet pavement.

"One for each of my enemies." Jack narrowed her eyes on the nymph. "Should I be adding two more wolves to my collection?"

"Nice try."