Chapter 7

Getting Silas out of the brothel was the least of my concerns. Dressing him was far worse. The sedative was not going to last long. It wasn't the aim of it; the tranquilizer was a show of power. To say to him that I ruled this situation, not him. I wanted to show him how easy I could take him down and that it wouldn't bother me to do it.

Once he was dressed, I wrapped the handcuff around his wrist and then mine. Then I slapped him until he was awake.

Silas looked at me, straddling his body with a wicked smile.

"Evening asshole. I made a few little changes. This being one."

I held up my arm to show him that we were connected. He sneered at me.

"Do you realize that I will not go quietly?"

"No one ever does," I said sweetly.

Getting up, I yanked on the chain and made him stand. Like a small child, Silas laid on the floor and refused to acknowledge me. He wanted to play a game, well that's fine because I liked games.

Dragging his dumb ass to the door, I opened it and searched the crowd at the end of the corridor. I now wish that I'd gotten her name. I could see her, but her back was to me.

"Hey, twister," I called out.

She turned, I flicked my head, and she walked up the corridor.

"What's your name?"

"Uh, Jackie."

"Well, Jackie. I have a very important task for you."

Pushing the door open, I watched with a supreme smile on my face as she looked down at the petulant child.

"Hello Jackie, darling. How are you tonight?"

"Great." She murmured.

"Awesome," I said in a fake, chipper tone. "Now that we're all good to go, I'm going to tell you about the game that we're going to play."

Reaching into my bag, I pulled out the gun.

"Either you get up off the floor, or I'll shoot Jackie."

"You wouldn't dare." Silas snapped.

"Nighthawk," I cooed. "I do dare, and if you've heard all the stories, you'll know that I am more than willing to do what it takes to get the job done. So get up off your ass and walk out of this place like a good little boy."

Jamming the gun into her back, I made Jackie move. Silas got up off the floor, glaring at me with pure hatred. When Jackie stepped out of the way, Silas took the opportunity to slam me into the wall. Jackie screamed, running down the corridor.

"You've got a lot of nerve," Silas hissed in my ear. "Holding a fake gun to the poor girl like that."

I chuckled, sliding the toy into my bag.

"Got the job done, didn't it?"

He stared at me, all too close for two people in such a situation.

"I need a drink."

Dragging my hand, Silas began to walk down the corridor. He patted his pockets and then glared at me.

"Where's my wallet?"

"It's safe."

Emerging from the brothel section of the building, we walked out into the saloon area. Silas slid into the booth, not so surprisingly, Shelly appeared.

"Hey, Silas. I see your new friend found you."

"Yeah." He grumped. "I'll have the usual thanks."

"Sure thing. What about you?"

"I'm on duty," I said, holding up the chained hands.

"She'll have the same."

"Well okay then."

Shelly sauntered off, wiggling that perky backside as she moved. Silas began to chuckle, I turned and saw him scratching the edge of his chin.

"Wipe the drool."

I ignored him because there was no point in discussing it. Our connected hands lifted, Silas leaned on his as he rested against the back of the booth. My limp hand just hung in the air; already I could feel the metal biting into my skin.

"You're not gay; that's definite."

"How would you know that and why is it any business of yours?"

Silas smirked, and I turned my head away. I didn't want to look at him. I wanted to hog tie him and bundle him into the trunk of my car, drive all night and then find a covered carpark to sleep the day away in. More driving, more hiding from the daylight. It would be a long journey, but so long as he suffered it in the worst way possible, then it was worth it.

"I see things. You think that you've got that mask firmly in place, but you're wrong. I can see through you already. You're a lost little girl, pretending that she can run with the big boys. The trinkets in your bag, the attitude, it's just one big act."

"Good God," I grumbled. "That would have to be the worst pick-up line I've ever heard."

"Oh, sweetheart, that was not a pick-up line."

"I was being sarcastic."

Silas laughed as he picked up the glass that had just arrived. The blood mixture smelled good, I knew that it would have alcohol in it but what I didn't know was how potent it was.

I needed blood; it had been too many hours without. Warily, I sipped the drink, feeling the harsh liquid burn down my throat.

"I will make you return."

"To where?" Silas said, challenging me.

"Well, the easiest path would be to drag your sorry ass to your family, make you get down on your knees and beg for forgiveness, but I think in this instance, it might be fun to make you go back to the base and make you finish the job you were tasked with."

"I wouldn't make my worst enemy go there." He muttered into the glass.

When he'd swallowed the drink, Silas shook his head.

"You think you've seen it; you think that you know what you're faced with well, you're wrong. Emmeline is a beta; she's the mildest of what is up there. Alaric wants to build the bridge, and I'm all for it, but he hasn't seen what the alphas can do. Or what they have done."

Silas shifted his gaze to me as I silently sipped the drink. An eyebrow cocked as a vague smile twitched in his lips.

"You would not sleep again if you saw what they're doing."

"Silas," I said, full of regret already. "I've been given a task, and it's a simple one. All I have to do is get you to call your family and let them know that you're okay. They understand that you might have seen something at the ridge, they're worried about your mental health. I'm sitting here, listening to you talking about these creatures and you know, I think they have every right to be worried."

"It's fine; I talk to my therapist every morning."

He jiggled the glass, and another half-naked waitress came over.

"Another and this time, bring the bottle. In fact, bring several. We're going to have a party."