62. Three Rules

Both pair of eyes averted to me as I coughed to clear my airway. When I was finally able to breathe properly, I gulped and raised my head to see Dad who was staring at me.

"Are you fine sweetheart?" he asked in a worried voice.

"Y.. Yeah." I managed to say despite the pounding inside my heart.

He nodded and turned his attention back to Adam. "So Adam! You didn't tell me yet. Are you a virgin?" he asked and I motioned Adam not to tell him anything about our little adventure.

His eyes switched between Dad and me and after clearing his thought, he finally spoke, "No sir."

The change in Dad's posture was very evident. His hands tightened around the knife and his jaw ticked, clearly indicating that something bad was going to happen.

"Great." Dad passed him a half smile and cut a piece of the cimammon bread. The way his knife worked effortlessly caused a shiver down my spine and I couldn't help but imagine Adam's neck in its place.

Few minutes have passed silently when dad started again and I braced myself for what he was going to say next.

"How long have you been street fighting?" he asked and this time, it wasn't me who choked. It was Adam, whose face turned red and his eyes widened like saucers.

"Dad!" I gasped, my hand froze in the air.

"What?" he raised his eyes and threw a glare towards me that forced me to shut my mouth. He angled his neck towards Adam whose face had now paled.

"Four years." Adam whispered.

"Four years, huh? That's quite scandalous. Don't you think?" he said as an amused smile played on his lips.

Adam remained silent and kept eating the pudding but his face clearly showed that he would rather be in hell than our house at this moment.

"I hope you know the reason why he fights, considering you've already investigated about everything else." I answered for him. Dad looked at me as if he didn't expect me to be aware of Adam's fighting.

"The dinner was great Mr. King." Adam interfered, breaking the glaring competition between Dad and me. "I think I should leave now."

He pulled his hand out for Dad but he didn't shake it back. Instead, he stood up and glared down at him from his tall height. Dad was one or two inches taller than Adam, and much more intimidating too.

"I think it would be better Mr. McArdle if you maintain some distance from my daughter." Dad threatened him through gritted teeth and my stomach tightened in knots.

Adam's gaze shifted to me and he replied, "I don't think that's possible, sir." Saying this, he walked to me and leaned down to kiss my forehead. "I'll see you tomorrow Ali." he said after pulling apart while I sat there shocked of what he just did.

After he left, I felt Dad's eyes on me and I shifted on my seat uncomfortably.

"I don't like him." he said, his tone harsh.

"I do." I bit my lips and said, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Despite what he said?" he asked, his voice blank.

"What? That he is not a virgin?" I asked and stood up, my eyes on the level of Dad's chest. I didn't have enough courage to look into his eyes for what I was going to say. "I think he is not the only one responsible for that."

A frown etched on Dad's face as he listened to me but despite the heaviness in my heart, I turned around and made my way out of the dining room without waiting for his reaction.