Chapter 7

Sam put the spinach leaves and carrots back into the fridge with the rest of his salad ingredients before shutting it, leaving the kitchen area to sit at his laptop with his dinner. A shuffling noise caught his attention and caused him to glance up, seeing the girl in their care standing in the archway of the lobby, drying her long hair with her towel. She admittedly looked attractive to Sam, his button-down plaid flannel shirt hung past her knees and his brothers jeans hung on her hips without the belt she was given.

"Are you hungry?" Sam asked her. The woman stopped drying her impressively long auburn locks and let her gaze upon Sam's plate, her head turned to one side.

"Maybe?" she answered with a question. "I haven't been this long without my necklace, I don't know if it makes me closer to you mortals and your needs or if it only affects me around my mother. Either way, that looks a little like rabbit food to me."

Sam chuckled and shook his head.

"My brother says the same thing, but he's allergic to anything good for him."

"Like, he'd die?"
"You would think so, the way he acts around it. But no, he just would rather enjoy a shorter life filled with all the good-tasting junk food you could eat rather than living a healthy lifestyle filled with less burgers and bacon."

"Well, I suppose I could try what you have. I don't think I have to worry about dying young, I'm a few million years too late for that," her striking eyes flashing with humor made Sam smile as he pushed his plate toward her. He handed her his fork but she waved it away.

"I don't recommend sharing silverware," she said. Sam looked at her curiously but got up to quickly retrieve a fork for herself.

"Is there a particular reason why not?" he asked with full curiosity.

"Oh," the woman sighed heavily, her thick lashes lowering before her eyes met Sam's again. "Saying your name would render you incapable of loving anyone but me, but kissing me, or any substitute thereof, would be far... far more devastating to you."

Sam found himself staring into her eyes, his heartbeat picked up and his throat went dry at the intensity of her stare. She broke eye contact and Sam felt as though a weight had been taken off his chest, leaving him gasping. He cleared his throat several times and ran a hand through his hair, brushing it out of his face distractedly.

"This doesn't taste like ass," the woman across from him stated matter-of-factly as she shoved a second forkful into her mouth. Sam's eyes snapped up in surprise.

"Did you just say 'ass'?" he asked, earning from her a giggle that surprised him just as much. To him her giggles were the prettiest sound he ever heard.

"I'm my mother's daughter, but I am still my own person," she said to him after her mouth was cleared of its food.

"That reminds me," Sam replied, looking at her inquisitively. "Cass said something about no one knowing the name your mother gave you and that we should just ask what you'd like to be called. What do you think?" Her violet eyes saddened with a spark of some deep loneliness that only eons could press upon a being before fading back into the darkness and replaced with a more thoughtful glow.

"I honestly have never been asked that question before, you know," she said. "I will think about it. In the meantime, I'm not in need of any more of your dinner so I will go back into the room and lay upon the bed until the others come back with my necklace.... Hopefully."

"Alright, but if you need anything or just want to talk or whatever, I'm here, ok?" Sam called after her. She stopped and turned her head over her shoulder to glance back at him.

"Thank you," she sent it as a whisper through the air until it struck Sam deep within and settled down until he shifted uncomfortably.