Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

SEVEN

RICKY 

It was hectic the next few days. Everyone was high on alert and kept their guards up. No one was sure if the transmission had been detected or not. For all they knew, it could have been and the government raids were on hold until the rebellion was at its weakest.

Along with those worries, the technical division divided themselves into focusing on making the transmission cloak which brought in more difficulties since they lacked the resources or the actual time to perfect it. All they had running in terms of cloaking was the anti-detection that surrounded their base so that they wouldn't be found, at least not easily.

Ricky bit his bottom lip, running his fingers through his hair as he stared at the tablet placed before him on his bed. All the information about what was to happen, what could happen — what needed to happen weren't sticking in his brain.

He was tired and all he wanted to do was to sleep for days. Pressing the palms of his hands against his face, Ricky wondered why he was chosen. He knew Dae Hee liked him, took care of him like he was his own blood but he knew, more than anyone else, that Ricky lacked everything a leader needed to be.

At moments like these, he wished he could have had a way to talk to the man.

At moments like these, he missed him.

Min Jae's face flashed into his mind and his mood soured even more.

The last thing he needed on top of this mess was the rebellious young adult trying to get on his nerves in every step of the way.

Since that day, Min Jae had been trying his best to talk to Ricky. But every time he opened his mouth, all that was said were things that Ricky wished he could punch him for — if he had the guts.

Growing older made him more cowardly.

He sighed, closing his tablet and tossing it a little to the left so that he could lie on the bed, staring at the ceiling. He placed one arm on his stomach while the other was above his head, forcing his body to relax even if the situation didn't allow such moments.

Ricky closed his eyes for a brief moment, his lips itching to smile when he recalled of the times with Dae Hee.

With his father.

He opened his eyes, wondering if his father would be proud of him.

He missed his old man too. So much.

"Tired, are you?" a voice said, coming from next to the bed.

Ricky smiled, looking at his mother. "Yeah."

Elly sat down at the edge of the bed and Ricky found himself turning to lie on his side, curling his body closer so that she could touch his hair, caressing through them. The silence between them was nice. It made him feel — warm. A sensation he hadn't gotten the chance to feel since he was a child.

"You look troubled too," Elly said, her voice hushed.

"Yeah," Ricky said, not denying it. "Mum, do you think I'm cut out for this?"

Elly hummed under her breath, taking in a deep breath. She cupped his cheek and looked at him, searching his face before a smile etched on her face.

"I don't know," she said.

Ricky frowned, not expecting that answer from her. "What do you mean?"

"Well," she said. "As my son, all I want is for you to be happy. To be safe. And it saddens me that I cannot keep you away from — this. But, I know, that everything happens for a reason. And if you're chosen to lead us, then, I trust your ability to do so."