Prompt 5: Soulmate song

"This is it, this is how I'm going to go!" I thought to myself as I cowered under the kitchen table of my apartment. I was waltzing to my kitchen for a 10pm snack after my Netflix marathon when I heard the door crack open loudly followed by footsteps. I cursed myself for not installing multiple locks on the front door and immediately dropped to the ground under the table. The footsteps seemed to be approaching sleazily further into the apartment. I calmed myself, I got this. I crawled to the knife stand and pulled out the largest butcher knife I had. I steadied myself on the corner of the wall opposite to the door connecting me and the robber. I heard him mumbling something and shuffling around the floor. What on earth is he here for? I'm just as broke as any first time renter still paying off school bills.

"Ah shi-" He cursed as I heard a crash on the floor. That sounded like my flower pot. My phone rang from upstairs. Fear rushed through me and I stood rigid. Whoever's calling just cost me my life. The robber shuffled some more after the ringing stopped. "I know you know that I'm in here," He said maniacally. Knife still clutched in my hand I inched away from the door. "Ha, ha I'm gonna find you!" He whispered to himself. Fear was an understatement. Every hair on my neck stood up as well as my whole body. This was real. I heard him walking towards my direction. I raised my knife up, poised to attack. He was humming a tune so familiar that if I wasn't in a life or death situation I would've thought about where I had heard it from. Never mind that, adrenaline was coursing through my veins and my fight or flight instincts were activated.

"Time's been ticking, hearts are running, think that cupid's up to something-"

Wait...is that? Is he singing my song?
My step faltered backwards and I almost tripped on the table, making it known that I was in here. I could've sworn that he was singing my song. The song that only soulmates know. No, no, no, this wasn't possible. I thought those were just a myth. Growing up my parents always told us that when people are born, they are given assigned soulmates and original songs that only their other half knows. I've never thought much of it but I did have a song which I sung on a daily. It was like my own little opening card to my life. Now, the universe is trying to tell me that my murderer is my soulmate? Not possible. But then again he was singing my song. No one knows that song. He even sung it in perfect timing and rhythm. Me freaking out was an understatement.

"Ah I found you," I heard him whisper as the kitchen door creaked open. He began humming the rest of the song. My eyes met with my robber. He had dark brown eyes and chocolate wavy hair. He held my lamp from the other room as a weapon and was dressed very average for a robber, black jeans and a blue jersey with blue shoes. His eyes widened as well. Probably not expecting me to be standing in shock with the knife at my side.

"Are you going to use that?" He pointed out. I snapped out of my daze and held it up.

"Y-you're singing my song," I stuttered out. At this point he had already entered and was looking at me quizzically with the lamp over his head ready to bash it in my face.

"What?" He inquired.

"My-my song," I said again, my voice cracking. What was my voice doing and why did it choose this point in time to do it. He rolled his eyes.

"Look it's going to be harmless, its a lamp. You'll hear whatever you're mumbling about after you're knocked out," He advanced towards me and I pointed my previously lowering knife to his face again. I cleared my throat

"You. Are. Singing. My. Song." I strongly stated. He thought for a second, looked at the other side of the room then back at me.

"Nah I'm pretty sure I wasn't" He said casually. I began slightly singing the rest of the song.

"But lately colours seem so bright-"

"And the stars light up the night..."

"My feet they feel so light-"

"I'm ignoring all the sign-OH MY," He shouted at the end lowering the lamp. I still held my knife in place. The look of awestruck on his face was priceless. I smiled knowing that I wasn't getting killed, yet. He held onto the counter somewhat shocked. He looked up to me, panic evident. It looked as if he was having a panic attack.

"Look," He said after minutes of silence, blank stares and weapons dropped on the table, "I don't usually rob people nor have I killed anyone, consciously, but I had to as my buddy's in jail for a false crime and I needed money to bail him out. So, knowing that you looked relatively alone I decided to pick your apartment." I nodded subconsciously.

"Um, I'm also sorry about the flower vase in the other room, I stubbed my toe on your hideou-standard couch. I'm Lynnol by the way," He extended his arm.

"I'm Payton, it's okay, I don't exactly know what to do now either way. You're not going to kill me right?" I asked. He chuckled deeply and leaned on the counter, hand still extended.

"No. I'm not fond of hurting my soulmate," Lynnol assured with a wink. I smiled slightly and grasped his hand firmly. That was the start of a weird unconventional adventure, which began by cleaning up the place, trying to find the money to bail his friend out of jail and getting rid of that god-awful couch

+++

I actually like this one. Would you like to hear their crazy adventures?
Spelling Errors will occur.
Don't forget that you can email me or direct message me prompts. Drop a like and comment.
Thanks

-k