present day - 7

"You're going to the movies with Carolina?" Her mom repeated what she just said, making her nod her head

"You're going to the movies with Carolina?" Her mom repeated what she just said, making her nod her head. "Well...okay. You should take Dion with you," she suggested, making Aaliyah groan.

"No- mom!" She whined. "We're gonna watch that new romance movie with Chris Hemsworth in it. I️ doubt Dion wants to sit through two hours worth of me and Carolina drooling over his abs," Aaliyah lies. "Plus, he's happier where he is now," she gestured over to her younger brother who was happily playing video games on the couch. "Watch," she demonstrated. "Hey Dion? You wanna go out with me and Carolina?" She asked.

"Carolina, yes. You? No thanks," he answers, making Aaliyah look back at her mom with an "I️ told you so" look while also being disgusted.

Her mom simply sighed as a sign that she was giving up. "Yeah- alright. Fine, Dion you can stay home alone, okay? Just don't burn the house down," she warned him before grabbing her bag. "Okay kiddies, I'm off to go show a newly wed couple some houses across town," she announced, walking out the door. "Don't burn down the house Dion!" She said as she walked out the door.

And then there were two.

A couple of minutes after her mom had left, Jackson had texted her that he was outside, as per her request since she did not want Dion seeing him. She yelled out "bye Dion", to which he simply replied that she should bring him back some food. Rolling her eyes, she walked out the door and locked it behind her before rushing over to Jackson's car. Memories of last night hit her like a ton of bricks, but she shoved all of that aside while she got in.

Today was gonna be a good day.
Today was gonna be a fun day.

So she quickly composed herself and smiled at him. "Hey," she greeted as she buckled herself him.

"Hey you," he smiled back. "You seem like you're in a good mood," he pointed. "That's good to see."

"Well, I️ kinda have no other choice," she rolls her eyes. "It's either that or you'll annoy me till I️ smile," she tells him, making him laugh.

"You know me so well," he said as he put the car in drive. "You sure we aren't soulmates?"
Aaliyah ignored his last comment in favor of playing with his radio station.