4

I finally woke up almost in a daze. I look up at my clock to see that it is 3pm. I woke up right on time too, because about five minutes later Jessica barges in my room.

"Me, you, party tonight," she enthusiastically nodded her head as she climbed onto my bed.

"Jess, you know I don't do the parties," I groaned as I threw a pillow at her.

"Tonight you do."

"Haven't I been to enough parties with you?"

"You've been to 3 and that's not enough, plus you haven't even touched that cute dress you bought last weekend. Do you really want to just let it sit there and collect dust and when you turn 50 you'll say 'man I forgot I even had this old thing' is that really what you want?" I had to admit she did make a valid point, i do want to wear the dress.

"Fine."

Jessica clapped her hands and cheered, "yay this is going to be soooo fun, I'm so excited. Apparently it's supposed to be the best party of the year."

"They say that about every party," I told her.

"Yeah, and each time they do get better, meaning that it is the best party of the year."

***

Later that evening I threw on a black dress that fit me just right, it cut off just above my knees, and it fit snug around me, not too tight but just enough to show off my curves. I through on a bit of makeup, mostly eye shadow and mascara. Lastly, I straightened my hair.

As I walked through the halls with Jess I got a text notification.

Wes: what's up

I ignored it.

"Oooo who was that?" Jess quizzed.

"That's tattoo guy from last night," I nonchalantly replied.

"No way! The hot one? How'd he get your number?"

"I have no idea," I chuckled.

We both walked down the sidewalk, you could hear our heels clicking from under us. Once we reached the door of the house i instantly was bombarded by the smell of alcohol and weed. The music seemed to shake the house and I was already regretting this decision.

"C'mon I'll get us a drink," Jess smiled as she headed to the kitchen. She started mixing random drinks.

By the time I was done drinking it I was already filling the buzz. Maybe a little too much? I sat on the couch while Jess was dancing and people were making out. I felt out of my limit. I see these people throw up and get nasty on the weekends and then I have to go to class with them? Does no one else think that's awkward?

Without my better judgment I decided to text Wes.

Me: hey

I waited a few minutes, actually almost 30 I was starting to feel embarrassed, why would I text him? I don't even know him? And that caused me to want another drink, so I helped myself to another.

Ding

Wes: oh now you reply

Me: I ws bisy. Wat r u dping?

Wes: I hope that's not how you normally text. Are you drunk?

Me: no

Wes: hmm I call bullshit

I chuckled to myself. I caught myself wondering what he was doing on a Saturday. I would think that the tattoo shop gets it's most business on the weekends due to the fact that it's right by a college and a lot of drunk college students get tattoos.

"Hey Dani, Is it alright if I head out? Will you be okay to walk home alone?" Jess asked pleading with me that I would be okay with it. She was with the guy she's been trying to get with for months and I couldn't just say no even though I wasn't okay with it. I still don't feel comfortable walking New York streets alone.

"Yeah that's fine. I'll be good," I smiled.

What was I supposed to do now?

Me: maybe a lil. I don't like ot tho

Wes: partied too hard huh

Me: ya and now I'll probably hve to stay the nught

Wes: I'll pick you up if you need me to

Me: no maybe I'll ask someine here to walk me

Wes: no I'll do it. Send location.

So again, against my better judgement I sent him my location.

I decided to go outside and sit on the porch as I waited for Wes to come. As I walked out I realized how much I really hated this dress, I don't know why I bought it considering I don't like attention and that's all I'm getting right now.

"Excuse me I just wanted to tell you that you are hot," a guy slurred while handing me a drink. I declined, my mom always taught me to never take drinks from strangers.

"Your loss baby," he commented before he went off to the next girl.

Just as I was about to pull out my phone I saw a familiar curly brunette walking up. He waved at me and that was my cue to walk over.

"Hey," I greeted as he did a poor job to smile back. "Are you okay?" I wondered as he just nodded and scratched his head. A nervous tick I gather.

"I usually don't party by the way, it's not really what I do," I assured him, I'm sure he's annoyed by me.

"Maybe it's because you've never been to a real party," he teased.

I chose not to argue with him, "thank you for walking me," I told him. "I don't like walking alone in New York."

"No, you shouldn't be walking alone, especially wearing that," he told me.

"What?" I asked, not knowing if I should be offended or not. I thought the dress was cute in me?

"Well don't you think it's a little bit revealing?" He snapped. What the fuck.

"Um excuse me? Even if it is, which it's not, but if it was, it's my body I can dress it however I like. And I'm most definitely not letting a boy tell me what I can and can't wear," I yelled, because you know I'm on that type of feminist wave. I hate how men objectify women.

"I don't know why you're yelling at me. You should be glad I agreed to pick you up."

"You practically begged to pick me up, and I don't know why you would offer if you were just going to be mean to me the whole time," I told him.

"C'mon I'm not being mean," he spoke softly, it's a miracle I even heard him from all the cars and noises that filled the city that never sleeps.

"My apartment is just up ahead, I can walk the rest. Thank you for walking me," I groaned, I thought I was going to be answered by a simple 'you're welcome' but I was instead accompanied by Wes walking to catch up to me.

"No, I'll walk you the rest of the way."

"I'd honestly you rather not if you're going to be rude," I told him.

"I'm walking you there whether you like it or not," he growled. What has gotten into him? Why has he now decided he wanted to be the stereotype douche person I thought he was in the beginning? What changed?

I decided to just shut my mouth, because I knew whatever I wanted to say would have just made everything worse. I noticed how tense Wes was, like he was in his own little world.

"This is me," I told him once we reached the door. "Thanks again for walking me," I told him, it came out as if I wasn't grateful, but even though he pissed me off I was still thankful for him walking me.

"Goodnight, Danielle," he waved and then walked back into the streets.