2 - Meeting Her

We pull into the parking lot of the hotel shortly after eight in the morning, after having to pull over somewhere on the highway another hundred miles before town. Dean was the one who insisted on pulling over and sleeping in the car, something we haven't had to do for several years. We've always managed to get a motel for the night, and then we had the bunker. However, I think it's the sense of urgency behind this case that drove us to resort to such inadequate sleeping arrangement. My back is still stiff when Dean puts the car into park, and turns off the ignition.

My older brother looks at me, and asks, "You ready?"

I nod at him, and sigh.

"How are you doing, Sammy?"

"What do you mean?" I ask him, slightly confused.

"You two were always closer, man. You were really like twins. I was more like the older brother that made sure that the other kids didn't beat you up. He wasn't as close to me as he was to you," Dean confesses. "I was always a little envious of that. Stupid, right?"

"I don't remember that," I say, feeling a smile lift on the corner of my mouth. "I remember you always flirting with his sister, Jenna, though."

"Everyone was flirting with Jenna. Dude, she was a goddess."

"You had a big fat crush on her and you know it."

"Of course I did, everyone did."

"I didn't."

"You did," Dean nodded towards me. "But you were smart enough to know she was out of your league."

I roll my eyes. "So what if I did?"

"Dude, if I had no chance with her, there's no way you would have."

"You liked her because she was the only girl your age with a D-cup!"

Dean looks in my eyes intensely for a moment, then be both bust out laughing.

"Well. Either way, he was much more your friend than he was mine," Dean said, after we settle down. "So, I know you're taking this harder than I am. So. Before we go in and meet the missus. How are you feeling? Seriously."

I sigh.

"Alright. Um. Well. It's...it's sad. And yeah, I—" I stop. I didn't know I was even that emotional about it, but sure enough, tiny little pinpricks of tears blur my vision. I blink them away. "I miss the guy, but. We've lost so many people by now, it's kinda...numbing. Just...just another workplace hazard, ya know?" I sniff, and Dean nods.

When he looks to me, I'm startled to find his eyes are teary, too.

"I know. I keep wondering when the day's gonna come when it just happens, and it doesn't hurt. But anyway. We gotta...get this thing started." He looks at his watch. "It's eight. Think she's awake?"

I sigh. "More than likely. She probably isn't sleeping."

Dean scoots towards his door, and opens it. "There's only one way to find out, I guess. Time to find out who he managed to tie down."

I nod, and open the door, facing the building. In unison, we close the doors, and walk to the front doors of the building.

_

After walking up and down the east wing of the second floor of the hotel, we look for room 262. I hear Dean call my name quietly.

"This is it," he says, pointing at the door in front of him. I nod, walking towards him and assuming my spot to the left of him, and Dean reaches out to knock on the door. A moment passes, and Dean and I look towards each other.