The Ghost at the Doorstep

Pokemon
Mew x Mewtwo

      One hour, thirty-eight minutes and forty-five--forty-four seconds! That's how much longer I had to wait until he arrived back home. 

     "Mewtwo..." My lips could only part in awe as I tried counting the time with one closed hand. I'd shower him with kisses the second he parched through that door; I promised myself I would! Stretching casually on the welcoming fabrics of the couch, I could only close my eyes in a vague attempt to imagine it; to imagine a moment nearly unimaginable

     Today, he was returning home from his journey to 'save the world'! To top it off, he was returning home in victory, returning home a hero! The world's silent savior that it'd never know existed... All that mattered most, to him at least, was that he was my hero. That's the only title he'd ever truly craved, and that's precisely the name I rewarded him with time after time again.

      I knew, too, that he'd be overjoyed to reunite with me. Three months of being apart from your mate is hard on any Pokemon, and I knew without proof that he was itching to come back home. 

     A special night is what I created in preparation for this day. A clean house, soft new sheets, nice supper, and a warm, soothing bath is only a portion of what I pre-arranged for his arrival. 

       One more hour, twenty-four minutes, and some timeless seconds was all that remained. I knew he'd be right on time; no earlier, no later. Twenty years ago, he would have never done something like this. I'd like to say that it was me who changed his heart, but I knew that was far from true.

      We changed each other. 

      Like two crashing waves forging to create a peaceful stream, together we changed ourselves for the better. My pride for him reaches beyond the world of words, and if I were to try and sit down and explain my reverence and deepest of love for him, I'd be sitting until the day Arceus Himself returned to Earth...

      "Only one more hour left..." Talking to myself only seemed to slow time. Feeling anxious was one thing, but sating the boiling fire that had been growing stronger for weeks upon weeks of being alone...I missed his company now more than ever! 

      Laying on the couch, even, reminded me of him. This was the couch we held each other, watched television together, relaxed, and, on some lazy occasions, shared light meals with each other. Admittedly, we ate at the table during most of our snack-times, though there were those few lazy times we considered snuggling on the couch to be a better chair.

      Glancing up, the light from the kitchen glowed along the peak of the living room. A lifeless, gray carpet rested across the border between the two, though I could never forget the way they glowed with life whenever he was here. I couldn't brighten them enough in his absence to keep them alive, so now the carpet rested in a deathly paint of glumness. 

     The moon was falling excruciatingly slow, and it felt like time was ticking away at a slower and slower pace. Scanning over a few cards brought over by the neighbor's in anticipation of his return, I had all of them lined up in the windowsills of the front room, freshly displayed so that he could admire them on his walk to the door. 

     A few 'Thinking About You' and 'We're Keeping You in our Prayers' cards were only some of what Ms. Lurantis and Chancey brought over on behalf of the neighborhood. On top of that, a few of them went out of their way to prepare nice, homemade-crafted food dishes and dropped them off earlier this morning. It seemed that everyone was excited about his return...

      "F-fifty...minutes," I whispered to myself with a wide smile, my eye leaking a misplaced tear that I quickly wiped away. My chest felt tight, and I quickly set myself up to properly lay back on the couch. Even after all those months, I still remember the way he kissed me...