Chapter 1 - Becoming Human

Pup growled, whined and yipped while listening to the sounds of battle reaching him inside the cave.

He felt helpless, trapped.

He didn't know why he had been tied down. What had he done wrong? There was only one thing he was sure of; that he would not lose his new pack and be left alone again.

With new determination flowing through his small black furry body, the wolf cub vigorously started chewing on the rope. One end was tied around his neck, and the stronger he pulled at it the tighter it felt. The other end was tied to the half wagon being weighted down with some crates.

The screams, thuds, bangs, clashes... all those sounds reaching him made him tear through the thin rope fast.

With part of the rope still dangling around his neck, Pup dashed outside as quickly as his little paws could carry him. He managed not to trip on the rope as he burst out, just in time to see a man slash at the dragon as the dragon started retreating towards a clearing.

The dragon was hurt. A lot. His scaly body was covered in many cuts and scratches. The blue of his scales mixed with the blood making him appear dark purple in places. His right wing was almost mangled, seemingly cut with a sword and also sporting a hole near his wing shoulder. The dragon's left wing had a tear in it. The smell of blood, mixed with the human blood but not quite human, reached the Pup's nostrils. It was the dragon's blood. The scent of it mingled with the scents of the fire and forest which was swirling around him. He committed it to his memory.

The dragon was limping, dragging himself backwards as he inhaled deeply and fired a ball of fire towards a man aiming some sort of weapon towards him.

Another man noticed in time what the dragon was about to do so he lunged forward, sending both him and the other man tumbling behind a tree, barely avoiding being caught in the dragon's fire.

Kaden used the opportunity to retreat faster. He knew he stood no chance here with them, he was too hurt, his claw cut off, the wound bleeding profusely. He had to get away. He'd rather die alone than give the prince the pleasure of finishing him off.

Another man was slashing at the dragon, darting around the tree, avoiding Kaden's claws and snaps.

Pup quickly charged at that man and bit down on his calf, hard. The man yelped and turned around in surprise. Just as he was about to strike, the wolf cub let go and darted away.

The dragon finally reached his destination and with his last ounces of strength and lifeforce, he beat his wings down hard, roaring against the pain. When his paws started leaving the ground, the men charged at him and stumbled back from the gust of wind his wings created. They were all bloody, wounded and singed.

Kaden had the advantage now. Beating his wings again, he managed to push through the pain to keep himself steady above their heads, inhaling deeply and letting out a long stream of fire towards them. They all scattered back behind the trees, knowing there was no way they could finish him off now. Not if they didn’t want to face certain death.

Some arrows flew towards the dragon but were turned to ash before they even reached him. With one last final roar of defiance, the dragon flew away.

Pup's sad howl pierced the sudden silence, drawing the attention of the still hard breathing men, who had been watching the dragon stumble while flying, barely able to keep himself above the trees. Pup growled at them defiantly as well and dashed away from them and in the direction he had seen the dragon fly away. Sniffing the air for that now familiar smell of dragon’s blood. It smelled sweet and slightly acrid.

It took Pup a couple of hours of snooping, changing courses and tracking the dragon until he finally found him.

Or did he?