Chapter 7 - Fighting Back

In the meantime…

“You know, you shouldn’t talk back to him,” Charlie said as her eyes landed on Olivia’s bruised cheek.

“I know.” Olivia sighed. It had been three days since they left Remor and Magnus finally snapped when she defied him yet again. They were now, as had become routine, riding in their carriage through the countryside.

“I just… sometimes I can’t stop what comes out of my mouth…” Olivia ran a hand down her face but winced when she touched the red swollen bruise on her left cheekbone. Just when her other bruises and cuts were almost heal, a new one was added to the collection. At least her head was much better and the stitches were out and the wound healed nicely, only her hand had yet to heal.

“Everything would be much easier if you just… played along.”

“Ha! You mean if I submitted to him… First my pride, my will and then what? My body? I’m not doing that.” Olivia snapped back.

The remark didn’t insult Charlie, concerning what she did for a living, but she understood Olivia’s fears, she too would feel the same way if she were in her friend’s position. She didn’t, though, like being snapped at unprovoked. “Don’t take it out on me Olivia. It’s not my fault. I’m just trying to help you the only way I can,” she said with a hurtful expression.

“I’m sorry Charlie.” Olivia wobbled slightly as she got on her feet inside the moving coach and went to sit next to her friend. “I didn’t mean to take it out on you… I’ve just been a bit moody.”

“That time of the month?” Charlie leaned her head on Olivia’s shoulder and chuckled.

“Ummm… Yeah.” Olivia admitted sheepishly. “Why is he so obsessed with me though? I thought he’d get fed up with me and my behavior by now and just ditch me somewhere.” She rested her head against Charlie’s.

“That’s where you’re wrong. He thinks of you as a challenge to be conquered, to be tamed. That’s why I said you should just give in… at least to a certain extent.”

“I’m afraid to do that. What happens when he decides he finally wants to take advantage of my body? Lucky for me, I just bought myself a few days longer… but then what?” Olivia started playing with the fabrics of her dress nervously.

“I really don’t know. I’ll help you anyway I can… try to buy you some time…” the redhead sighed.

Olivia took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I can promise you one thing though… I’ll get us away from him before it’s too late… When I make a run for it, I’m taking you with me. There’s no way I’m leaving you behind with that lunatic.”

Charlie chuckled humorlessly. “I tried once… He whipped me for it… among other things.”

“He’s such a bastard. I cannot believe people like him exist. But I’ll find a way to get us away… and I don’t make my promises lightly.”

The redhead looked up at Olivia. “You’re really too good of a person to be stuck in this situation.”

Olivia winked down at Charlie. “I know.”

They both burst laughing. It was a good way to break the tension a bit, to lighten the mood, but once their laughter stopped, Olivia sat across Charlie again. It was more comfortable that way for both of them. Only the sound of hoof beats and the squeaks of the carriage moving along penetrated their silence.

“Charlie?”

“Hmm?” The younger woman looked up from opening her waterskin.

“What’s it like?” Olivia asked hesitantly.