Fourteen

IF YOU ARE A REGULAR READER AS OF 8/31/19, PLEASE REREAD THIRTEEN. IT HAS BEEN UPDATED!

"I won't let anything happen to you, boy..." I rocked Spitfire in my arms. He whined, but let me continue.

I knew I saw someone lurking out there... I wasn't crazy.

"Leysa?" Agnes knocked, but the door was locked. "Leysa, Mason is on his way..." I pressed my face into my puppy's fur. He licked my cheek.

"I got you, buddy... I got you..." I repeated until the door unlocked and there was our gentle rasp we coded.

"Agnes... how long has she been like this?"

"About an hour... I tried calling the VA, but I kept getting put on hold."

"I need you to drive us to an inpatient facility... this is becoming out of our hands." I held onto Spitfire. "Leysa?" A Hand on my cheek... warm, calloused, but soft. "Leysa, baby... You need help." I squeezed my eyes shut. "We're going to get you some help, okay?"

*

Mason

It wasn't easy signing the paperwork to get her committed for 72 hours.

"Is she allergic to any medications?" The orderly asked.

"No, ma'am... but she has been on a high dosage of Xanax since she was released from the military back in 2014... I don't think it's working for her anymore."

"We'll work with her on getting it stable... It may be longer than 72 hours, but you can visit tomorrow as soon as we get her 'out of her funk.'" Two bigger nurses came out. I looked to Leysa, who was wrapped around herself in her chair next to Agnes, and felt extremely guilty. I went over to her, and stroked her cheek. She looked up at me, a tear in her eye.

"I know you don't want to be here, baby, but you need to get better." She closer her eyes. "I'll come see you tomorrow, okay?" I leaned down, kissing her forehead.

"Ms. Romera, it's time to come with us." One of them spoke. She slowly uncurled herself, and stood up on shaking legs. She walked back with them and the doors shut, locking behind them.

"She needs it..." Agnes put a hand on my shoulder. "You did the right thing." I felt horrible for doing it, but I couldn't do it forever. She needed help I couldn't give her.

And now, I just hoped they could make her go back to her old self.

*

Leysa

"All of your belongings in this bag, and change into these." One of the big nurses closed the bathroom door behind me, and I looked at the purple scrub-like uniform they had given me. I slipped it on, putting my other clothes in the bag, and sank down against the bathtub.

Misery. I was in misery.

The only one left of my squadron, alone in constant agony.

That's what this felt like. Pain. Misery. Sorrow...

"Ms. Romera?"

"I'm done." My voice cracked. They opened the door, taking the clothes, marking the bag. The blonde one leaned down with a cup, and a small plastic square full of pills.

"These will help, I promise." With shaking hands, I took them, and was pulled off the floor. They sat me on the bed, and began asking questions.

"Are you a Veteran?"

"Yes..."

"Have you ever been committed before?"

"Yes..."