Chapter 19

"You can't just keep making us walk," Castleia huffed.

The Dwarf cackled. His stubby legs protruded on either side of the girl's horse, swinging lightly as the beast plodded along. In one hand he rested a stubby hammer over his shoulder. In the other, two long leather chords trailed from his hands to Canth's and Castleia's wrists.

The two humans walked on either side of his throne-like position on the horse, wrists tied behind them.

That might not even be the worst of it, Canth mentally muttered in a mixture of curiosity and frustration. He raised his eyes from the dusty trail that wound through the brambled forest to the hulking beasts that marched in front of them. \

The creatures were more certainly humanoid, but unlike any humans he had seen. They stood perhaps seven feet tall, though stooped under a frame contorted with muscle. Their bodies were almost entirely hairless with dark, gashed skin. One was missing a hand. The stump ended in a knotted chunk of bone and muscle that twitched every now and again in the cool mountain air.

Heavy chain links connect the one-handed beast's feet. Another set bound its companion's wrists.

As Canth watched, the beast turned its gaze and he froze mid-step. The eyes were blank white spheres, cloudy but penetratingly firm like impure glass. Seeing the boy freeze, the beast made a dark face that may have been a grin.

"Oi, lad, what keeps your legs?" the Dwarf hollered from Castleia's horse.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe he's hungry," Castleia spat. "Or are mountain folk accustom to living off of dust?"

"Aye, and I've lived off of much less. You will too, I wager." The short man jostled in the saddle, withdrawing some contraption from his pocket. Something metal clicked and he peered at it closely before returning it. "For at least another several hours, that is."

"You still haven't said exactly where we are going. Or who you are," Canth added. He attempted to make the comments resentful but his curiosity betrayed him.

"Would the lad like to know? Then 'ee should have asked. Not that I am like to tell you." The small man thew his head back and chuckled again. The fluff of his beard streamed into the air, accompanied by hundreds of little braids that clattered around his armor.

Canth waited until the horse had walked near him.

The countenance of the Dwarf changed immediately. His hammer fell from his shoulder to level at the boy's face. "Stay back now. I've killed hundreds in my days. 'Don't have many reservations adding a child to the list."

Approaching as innocently as he could, Canth whispered. "What are those things?" He jerked his head toward the beasts leading the way. "Where did you get them?"

"Eh?" The Dwarf jerked his head. "Haven't you ever seen an ork, boy? Not that you're any worse off for it. They're mighty filthy things, not much to look at. Really only worth the meat in their backs."

Canth started walking again to keep pace with the horse. He looked up questioningly.

"Do you mean to tell me," the Dwarf continued, saddling his hammer to replace it with an accusing finger, "that you have never heard of King Highgrave Wrathborn? Or the Battles of Tegonogorath?"

Canth held his gaze, eyebrow raised.

The Dwarf blinked. "At least you've heard of Fanderell and Gerdyn?"

Canth retained a blank face.

"Nine halls," he choked. "Allow me to enlighten you." The short fellow rolled his shoulders back and sat straight atop the horse. A hand brushed the braids in his beard.