FIVE

AVA'S POV

I slowly turn around and I see Prince Maxwell before me. He is extremely tall and intimidating. He smiles, flashing his annoying dimples, "I don't think we've met yet." I nod, "" Uh no we have not. Ava-Lane Montgomery."

He smiles,"It's nice to meet you, Miss Montgomery." He waits patiently, expecting me to do something. I then realize that I forgot to curtsey. I glance up at him, "Would you like me to curtsey?"

He looks thrown off but quickly laughs, "Uhm, no." I nod, "Good, I doubt that I would have anyway." He nods, "You're not afraid to speak your mind. I like that."

I laugh, "Are you just going around trying to flatter each girl. Believe me, if you'd like to win me over it would take a lot more than that." He smiles before shaking his head, "I should go. It was nice meeting you Miss Montgomery."

I smile, "Likewise, your highness." He shrugs, "You can call me Max. I'm not my father. Perhaps we could sit down and talk some time?" I nod, "Gooday then, Max." He smiles before walking off.

MAX'S POV

-Later-

After I've managed to have my first encounter with all of the girls I manage to sneak away into my chambers.

This is unusual, but immediately I lay down on my bed. I sigh as I am extremely drained due to all the events of today.

My father is unaware of my absence at the moment otherwise he would have given me work to do. I have a massive migraine.

After what seems like five minutes I hear a knock on my door. I sigh but I manage to get out of bed and open the door.

My mother raises her eyebrows as she sees the state I'm in. "My oh my, you should rest. Your father sent me here to inform you about your meeting tomorrow with the council."

I nod, "Thank you." She kisses my forehead, "Rest. I'll tell him that you're with the ladies." I smile, "Thank you." She winks before closing the door.

AVA'S POV

-Next Day-

Marie, Claire and I are on our way to the library. As soon as we enter we notice Zara flirting with Max. I roll my eyes, "Pathetic. This has desperation written all over it."

Out of the corner of my eye I notice Veronica frowning in the corner. I excuse myself from the twins before walking over to her. As soon as she sees me she smiles, "Hey."

I smile, "Hey, you okay?" She sighs and shrugs, "He hasn't spoken to me yet. What if this is a sign?" I shake my head, "Don't worry. He will speak to you." She nods, "I suppose you're right."

I smile, "I know." She rolls her eyes before smiling. I grin, "Why don't we head out to the gardens and drink some tea." She laughs, "I never took you for the 'garden and tea' type."

I shrug, "Believe me, I'm not. But I would do anything right now to get away from this sight." She nods, "Hmm. Zara has caught his attention." I sigh, "Come on. You need the tea more than I do."

Reluctantly she gets up. I bid Marie and Claire a goodbye as Veronica and I head out to the gardens.

Once we are seated with a steaming cup of tea I smile, "I've got a nickname for you." She raises her eyebrows, "Oh? What is it?" I smile, "Vee."

She blinks, "Vee. Hm. Hold on, Vee. I like it." I smile, "I knew you would." She smiles, "So, what made you attend the selection?"

I sigh, "I'm doing this for my family. How about you?" She shifts awkwardly, "I really want to find love." I slowly nod, "It's not impossible." She smiles, "Oh yeah? Have you ever been in love before?"

I nod, as I think of Ross. "Y-yes." Her eyes light up, "Oh really! What's it like?" I smile, "It's beautiful. How someone can care so deeply for you, or how that care and love can be reciprocated. It's truly so beautiful."

She smiles, "Wow. You really loved him." I smile weakly, "I still do. Technically we're still together. But he knows and understands why I had to choose the selection."

She places her hand on mine, "Hey, everything will work out. It somehow always works out. Even when we're in doubt, life works out."

I smile, "Yes. Agreed, now enough about me, tell me about you."

Vee tells me all about her family and some of their quirks, her goals in life and she explained more about her take on love.

She's honestly a walking inspiration. I adore how she views everything in such a positive light.

Later, Marie and Claire joins us. Then I got to learn more about them.

Perhaps, it will not be so bad here after all. Although, everyone has opened up about their families except me.

It's to soon to open up about them.