𝐱𝐯. SPECULATIONS

▬▬▬ CHAPTER FIFTEEN ▬▬▬

THE GHOSTS DECIDED TO GIVE Esmerelda a spook on Halloween morning in the middle of the girl's bathroom.

She was very unimpressed.

Circling around her were a bunch of gloomy nuns, a knight with an arrow sticking out of his head, Moaning Myrtle, Nearly Headless Nick, Peeves, and the Fat Friar. There were many more, but they were in back of the circle so she couldn't quite see them clearly.

"Seriously? You're gonna gang up on me in a girl's bathroom? If I can touch you, then I can hurt you. Get out of my way, now."

Peeves leaned to the Fat Friar and stage-whispered, "You sure she's a Puff, Fatty?"

"I'm gonna be late to Charms." She deadpanned.

The Fat Friar looked very uncomfortable under her stare. "I apologize, we only wanted to talk..."

She sighed. "About me being able to make physical contact with a ghost?"

"So it's true then?" Moaning Myrtle sniffled. "Just great. Then I suppose you'll bully me like everyone else is?"

Esmerelda stared at her incredulously. "What? No, of course not, I have human decency!"

"She's from my House," the Fat Friar said proudly. "She'd never do something so rude!"

"Hey, hey, little firsty," Peeves floated up to her, grinning wildly. "Do that thing to me again. Where you made me hit the wall."

She furrowed her brows in confusion. "What?"

"Hmm? You don't remember?" He sang. "When you and the other firsties were out breaking curfew—" Cue the scandalized gasp from the Fat Friar. "—you bumped into me! I hit the wall!" He laughed gleefully at the memory.

Moaning Myrtle stared at her with wide eyes. "You can give us a corporeal form...?" Her gaze hardened and she glided up to Esmerelda. "Do it to me. There are some bratty students that I want to get my revenge on...!"

"Yes! Do it again, do it again!" Peeves chanted.

"Peeves," a cold voice sliced through the atmosphere. The ghosts parted ways as the Bloody Baron glided through. "Enough of your singing. All of you, leave the Hufflepuff alone."

The ghosts all nodded fearfully and sped out of the bathroom. Before Myrtle exited the room, she sent Esmerelda a glance and the girl knew she was going to have a visit from her. Once the bathroom was cleared out from all the pesky ghosts, Esmerelda turned to thank the Bloody Baron.

"Your eyes are just like his," he said hollowly.

"Huh?" She asked dumbly.

Instead of explaining, he headed out through the nearest wall. "Your charms lesson begins in three minutes." He said before he was gone completely.

She dashed over to her class, but her mind was still buzzing with the Bloody Baron's last words. Her eyes were just like whose? The only people who had eyes like hers were children of Hecate...

Did the Bloody Baron know Merlin?

She compared the Bloody Baron's clothes to the clothes she remembered Merlin wearing on the day of his execution. They looked like they came from the same time period... Could it be possible that they attended Hogwarts together when they were both still alive?

She had to stop thinking about it though since she had entered her Charms class and Professor Flitwick announced that they were going to start making objects fly. Eager to learn, she waited for him to find her a suitable partner.

It turned out to be Zacharias Smith.

You've gotta be kidding me... She still hadn't forgiven him for telling the entire class about her 'Troll' grade.

"Everyone with their partners now?" Professor Flitwick asked, standing up on his usual pile of books.

Esmerelda and Zacharias grunted.