𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. THALIA'S PINE TREE

▬▬▬ CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ▬▬▬

IT WAS TIMES LIKE THESE did Esmerelda really wished that Hogwarts came with a heating system. The cold chill of the November air was biting into her bare legs as she struggled to keep herself warm with her cloak (about the only time she was glad to wear the stupid thing).

There was one thing that uplifted her mood however. Her test results for her latest Herbology test (the non-practical one) came back and she was happy to say that she had an A (for acceptable)! It certainly beat her last test results which was a T.

It's all thanks to Neville! She thought gratefully as she rushed towards the Great Hall where lunch would be served. She was more than excited to show Neville how far she had come with his help. It wasn't an O, (which she originally thought was a zero), but it was good enough since she had never gotten a grade above T before in Herbology.

"Neville!" She exclaimed, spotting him sitting down at his table. She ran to him, nearly barreling over a couple students in the progress, and was positively beaming once she reached him. "Look! I got an A!" She almost squealed, showing him her results.

His eyes popped out. "That's amazing, Essie!"

"I know right? It's all thanks to you, you're a serious miracle worker!" She grinned widely.

"Professor Sprout must have been really proud of you," he said.

She shook her head. "She was, but she was more proud at the fact that you managed to help me. She probably thought I was a lost case, I don't blame her."

"Well you're not a lost case anymore," Neville assured.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that, Longbottom," an annoying voice drawled. It was Draco. She didn't know what he was doing here since the Slytherin table was farther away from Gryffindor's and Hufflepuff's, but she knew he wasn't here to do anything good.

"M-Malfoy..." Neville stuttered, and it was clear to Esmerelda that Draco was his main bully.

"Hey Longbottom," Draco began, snatching the goblet in front of Neville and claiming it as his own. Neville only flinched but didn't do anything to protest his actions. "Is it true that you're the one to tutor this idiot?" The blonde motioned to her. "It must have been hard. I heard she was too dumb to learn how to read. Did you have to pay Sprout to give her that A?"

"Oh leave her alone, Malfoy!" Hermione said, coming in to her defense. She, Ron, and Harry had just entered the Great Hall and immediately came over once they saw Draco 'speaking' with Neville and Esmerelda.

"Yeah, and give Neville back his goblet!" Ron snarled.

"Merlin, Potter, can you and your friends get anymore pathetic?" Draco scoffed, calmly swirling the liquid in Neville's goblet. "I was just speaking to Longbottom and no-name here. No need to be so bloody protective."