Chapter 22

Once the two of us finished breakfast, Mom rushed to the pack hospital to help her mate. The sneaky bastard thought she stuck me with washing the dishes, however, I just left them soaking in the sink. The last thing I'd ever do was wash dishes.

Because there was no telling when Blake would return to work on his Alpha duties, I decided to make a tactical retreat. The last thing I wanted to do was to be still present inside the house when he returned.

However, as I yanked open the front door, I was met with a surprise. With her arm raised in the air stood the timid nurse. The one who had a panic attack in my presence and the one my mom beat in her acceptance fight.

For once even Shyrin couldn't remember her name. Or maybe she was still too hurt with the way I left things with Blake. Stupid sulking wolf.

"Maggie."

I blinked a couple of times, before I realized that what she just said was her name. With everything I had, I hoped that she wasn't about to faint, as I was in no mood to carry her to the pack hospital.

"If you're looking for Blake, he isn't here." I wanted to walk past her and leave the house before she could start pestering me about Blake's whereabouts.

"I'm looking for you." She couldn't even look me in the eyes, as she admitted this.

At least a dozen possibilities of what she could be up to ran through my brain, none of them flattering for her. However, for once I decided not to jump to conclusions and allow her to say whatever she came here for.

I folded my arms in front of my chest and leaned against the doorway. My most bored expression formed on my face, as I waited for her to continue. It must have worked, because she tensed up and clenched her hands. I found it funny how much strength it took for her just to speak with me. She really was a timid creature.

"I want you to teach me how to fight."

It took me a second to comprehend what she'd just blurred out and then another to force myself not to burst out laughing. I almost couldn't help myself. She looked so funny with her fists clenched and her cheeks stained by her blush. She looked like a little child and not a woman at least ten years my senior.

"Sure, why not." I shrugged and disentangled myself from the doorway.

I walked past her, heading towards the training grounds. While walking, I listened in on how long it would take her to follow me. However, she again took me by surprise.

"Can we go somewhere more private?" She was back to being painfully shy.

I stopped in my tracks, piercing her with my eyes. For the first time I wondered if there was something more behind her request. Could she be stupid enough to think she could ambush me if we were on our own?

"I... The training grounds are filled with warriors and... I don't want to be in their way." If it was even possible, her blush deepened some more.

Without a doubt I knew she was lying. However, I also guessed she was just too shy to train among all the skilled warriors. It wasn't so uncommon.

I shrugged and told her to lead us wherever she had in mind. With surprisingly firm steps she led me to an empty patch of land; a small clearing just perfect for one-on-one training.

The training session lasted about an hour and a half, with the first half an hour spent on warming up exercises, so she wouldn't accidentally pull or hurt any muscles. The rest I spent teaching her the basics of fighting.

I was a little surprised to find out that she wasn't so bad after all. While she lacked the proper knowledge about the basics of fighting, she was a quick study. Everything I told her she picked up with ease. By the time we were finished I was sure she could take on my mother and win this time.