Chapter 18- A New Plan

General Leia Organa sat at a table within the Resistance headquarters in the depths of the temple. Looking to her left sat her second in command, Poe Dameron. General Ematt, Admiral Nunb, Lando Calrissian, Chewbacca, Maz Kanata and Zorii Bliss sat at the table, all veterans of this conflict like herself. Commander Finn and Rose, Jannah Calrissian, and Commander Connix all young, fresh and efficient. Commander Snap Wexley, Commander D'Acy and Admiral Statura were also present, all seasoned and committed. At the other end of the table sat her son, Ben Solo, Kylo Ren looking particularly awkward and behind him stood Rey, her hand on his chair. She smiled in memory of how she and Han had sat similarly, pretending to be friends when they had never been. Leia had travelled light years to find Han out of love, risking her own life. These two clearly felt just as intensely as she and Han had.

Yesterday had not been a good day. Leia's longtime droid companion was still a crumpled mess, which Babu was trying his best to fix. Leia had never known a droid quite like 3P0, so human. R2-D2 came close, but she had never known a droid to complain as much as C-3P0 did, and she missed it already. They had failed to decipher the Holocron, and that now seemed like a lost cause. They needed a new plan, and everyone was required to make it. Ben was going to share the information he had, and together, the last battle would be decided.

"OK," Leia stood, and the eyes of all those present all around the table were on her; she waited for a palpable moment to ensure she had everyone's attention before continuing. "We have information to share and a new plan to formulate. Let's get to business and see if we can come up with a solution. The First Order under the Contingency and its designated leader, the dark acolyte of Palpatine Letan Nex, is preparing for an all-out war. They have greater numbers and greater weapons. We are outgunned and outnumbered. Ben."

Opposite Leia, Kylo sat leaning back in his chair with all the other leaders who were deliberating what was to be done next. He hadn't wanted the chair, but Rey had insisted on his preferred position of standing in a corner and hiding. He hadn't wanted to be present, and he hadn't wanted to be part of these discussions. He didn't have the right to sit at this table, but Rey had reasoned that his point of view was valid and necessary, so here he sat. Kylo rested his head in his hands, feeling more and more tense. He knew Rey could sense his emotions; she'd placed her hand on his chair, hoping it would calm him. It hadn't, and it would only be a matter of time before the others around the table would feel it, too.

"Ben?" 

Kylo heard his name and looked up from under his lowered brow.

"Ben, what do you have to tell us?" his mother asked again. He could see a mildly nervous expression he recognised from being a child- don't lose your temper, and do not embarrass me. Kylo sighed heavily. Nothing he was about to say was going to be accepted readily by anyone.

"I have already begun acquiring allies to increase our numbers and chances from within the First Order."

"Within the First Order, are you insane?" Dameron shouted.

"No. There are good, decent people within the First Order, military strategists who made their way due to their skills. The stormtroopers of the First Order aren't clones; they're people, people following orders. Conscripted as children, they are almost prisoners themselves; they have no choice, and they aren't inherently bad or evil. Deserting the First Order isn't possible- he's the only one who's managed." Kylo gestured to Finn. The room had fallen quiet, and so Kylo continued. "It's time to let the past die. Those willing to join you are General Hux, Admiral Deltan, Colonel Kramer, General Targo and Captain Peavey. They do not want the Emperor to return. Their ships and their troops are with us. Hux is working on others. Together, you create a new order to bring down the Contingency."