Chapter 12 - Breaking down

"There is an ocean of silence between us... and I am drowning in it."

Andrea's POV

As our eyes met, his expression changed. His face hardened as he looked into my eyes. I couldn't understand how I felt: happy, angry, sad or... But there was only one thing that I was so sure of. I missed him so much. He looked so handsome in his black suit.

He averted his gaze, rubbing his beard and said something to the man beside him. Then they went towards the table far away from us after he gave me a stoic look.

"Andrea, aren't you listening to me?" Eva said, annoyed. "Where are you looking at?" She asked as she turned around. "Holy shit!" She cursed under her breath as she saw Alejandro.

I cleared my throat as I entwined my hands tightly and looked down. I felt uncomfortable. "Yes, I am listening. What were you saying?"

"Umm...Are you okay?" Eva asked, concerned.

"Yeah. Don't worry." I mumbled and picked at my food.

I had been looking at Alejandro time by time. Suddenly, he looked at me. He ran his hand through his hair and averted his gaze. He acted towards me like we were two strangers. It made my heart tighten.

"Umm...Excuse me, I need to use the restroom." I said as I stood up quickly and went to the restroom without letting her say anything.

I walked into the restroom and closed the door behind me. Fortunately, there was no one in here. I leaned against the wall and placed my hand on my chest. I pursed my lips together as my eyes welled up. I felt so emotional. Seeing him again, especially seeing how he acted towards me made me feel bad. It bled the wound in my heart again which I thought it healed, again but I was wrong. It didn't heal totally. It was still here.

I slid down the wall as I burst out crying. I breathed deeply, trying to calm down and grabbed the edge of the sink counter. I got up barely and turned on the water. I washed my face and leaned my hands on the sink counter. I didn't feel well. It felt like I was going to collapse any minute. I dried my face and walked out of the restroom, placing my hand on the wall for support.

"Andrea, are you okay? I was coming to check you." Eva asked, worried as I bumped into her in the hallway.

"Umm...Yeah. Could we leave? I have to wake up early tomorrow." I mumbled without looking at her.

"Ok, let's go." She responded. "Did you cry?" She asked, worried as I lifted my head up.

"No, I didn't." I murmured and looked down.

"Andrea..."

"Please, let's go." I pleaded and went towards our table without waiting for her to say anything.

After paying the bill, I grabbed my bag. I walked towards the exit without looking at Alejandro, but I felt his gaze on me. Eva rushed after me and wrapped her arm around my waist as I felt dizzy.

****

I was chatting with my mother in the living room while we were waiting for my father.

"By the way, Alejandro is back." My mother said. "I bumped into him in front of the cafe this morning."

My expression changed as I heard his name. I bit my lower lip nervously and started playing with my fingers.

"Umm...Yeah. I saw him too." I mumbled.

"What did he say? We couldn't talk so much. He told me he was in a hurry." My mother asked in curiosity.

"...We...We didn't talk. I saw him afar." I replied uncomfortably.

"He changed a lot. It felt like he was a different person. He looked so mature, strong, determined and...sad. He lost the shine in his eyes. On the other hand, he acted so distant." My mother commented. I looked away without saying anything.

Alejandro's POV

I was sipping my wine while waiting for Cedric at the restaurant. The girl a few tables away from me was staring at me since I arrived. I smirked at her and took a sip from my wine. She gave me a wide smile and bit her lower lip seductively. I looked at my wristwatch, averting my gaze; Cedric was late. I grabbed my phone and called him.

"I am in front of the restaurant. I am coming." He said as soon as he picked up my phone.

I smiled as I saw Cedric walking towards me and stood up. I gave him a half hug, greeting him.

"You have spectators. Huh?" He gave me a wicked smirk.

I smirked arrogantly as I looked at the girl who was still staring at me.

After the waiter had brought our orders, we started having dinner.

"What do you want to talk about?" Cedric asked as he took a sip from his wine.

I entwined my hands and stated. "I have told you about my plans about the company and...him. I need a good lawyer who I can trust, and you are the best in your field. So I offer you to be my lawyer."

"Hold on! Has the great Alejandro Fernandez just praised me?" He asked mockingly. "Hey, where is Alejandro? What did you do to my best friend?" He asked playfully and smirked.

I chuckled, amused and asked. "What is your answer?"

"How can I refuse you?! Of course, I will accept. I am ready to save your ass." He replied and smirked arrogantly.

"Perfect!" I exclaimed and took a sip from my wine.

"Umm....But are you sure about it? Do you really want to do it? You know how Andrea will feel about it. After all, he is her father." Cedric commented.

I pinched my nose, looking away and mumbled as I took a sip from my wine. "Yeah."

"At least, try not to involve her in it. She is innocent." He stated, looking at me in concern. I didn't say anything, thinking. "And I don't understand why you broke up with her. Both of you loved each other so much. Moreover, she has nothing to do with...that..." He sighed without finishing his sentence.

"Because every time, I saw her that scene flashed in my mind." I admitted, running my hand through my hair. "How would I be happy with her if she reminds me of it? Trust me, it wasn't easy for me at all. My world collapsed that day." I paused and sighed. "And my father loved my mother too. My mother told me she loved him as well. Look, what happened in the end. He is dead. How could you know it wouldn't happen between us too?!" I stated sadly and entwined my hands tightly, gritting my teeth. I breathed deeply and confessed, determined. "No one could stop me from taking my revenge."

"Even Andrea?" He asked, giving me a questioning look.