2.

"Yes princess, your wedding!" The maid exclaimed happily.

I didn't hear about this from father. When did this come from? Astonished, I almost ended up tripping on one of my little sisters toys.

"Sis...? Are you alright?" Fay spoke softly, her small lips pouting in worry. Her small hands gripped the sides of my undergarments, making sure that I didn't fall.

Oh, my sweet baby sister. If only she was a little older, I could explain more to her. Marriage wasn't an easy discussion in the first place. It could mean several things. For generations, princesses were sold off to nearby kingdoms for peace treaties or worse, forced to marry whomever took over the throne next. They could be killed if not found useful. Death was in every direction and have always felt pitiful for being born as a princess. Although I lived a grand life better than the commoners, my duties were indeed stressful.

Forcing a smile, I patted Fay's head gently. "I'm fine. Just shocked that I'm suddenly getting married."

"But... daddy didn't say anything about you getting married. Is it just rumors?" She said, tilting her head.

"Maybe, but I would still need to get ready for the event tonight. You'll be coming too, Fay. Did you want to get ready with me too? We can look pretty together." I suggested, wanting to get off the topic of marriage.

Fay's eyes sparkled in happiness.

"Yes!" She said, jumping around as the maids started to gather into the room. There were definitely more maids here than usual. Father must have sent them to help me get ready for my 'marriage'. I need to have a word with him as soon as possible. My worst fear was getting married to a 50 year old man who wanted nothing but my body.

I visibly shuddered but calmed myself.

Now's not the time to think about it.

For now, I have to prepare for the gathering.

***

"My word, princess! You are just the most beautiful woman in all of the werewolf kingdom! The other princesses can't compare to your beauty." My closest maid, Elise, said as she finished the last braid in my head.

I smiled, " Thank you, Elise. But there's really no need for you to exaggerate. Fay here is just as beautiful."

She nodded, "Of course, your highness."

Fay giggled, spinning around her dress. She was dancing around with the maids as they watched her with joy. She was indeed a gem in this dark castle. What did I ever do to deserve such an adorable little sister?

I laid back into my chair, feeling a little tired. It took us a total 4 hours to get ready. Fay and I were forced to wash in rose petals and bathe in silk warm coconut to smoothen our complexion. It helped us to have fair skin, as well as cleansing it.

Sighing, I stood up to stretch when my maid bowed, clearing her throat to get our attention.

"My, my! It's time, princesses. The king is urging you guys to come to your carriages. Let us be on our way!" Elise said, clapping her hands together.

Fay, who was carrying around her stuffed animal, named Chibi, quickly set her bear down. "Come on, sis! Let's go!"

I laughed, holding my gown. "I'm coming, I'm coming."

"Oh, wait! Princess! Don't forget it's a masquerade party. Here's your mask." Elise said, handing it to me.

I glanced at the mask in appreciation. "It's beautiful, thank you."

She did a curtsy before leading us to our father, who was waiting for us in front of the carriages.

"There you are. I was wondering when you two would arrive." My father said, letting out a hearty laugh. My little sister ran towards him, her arms open.