06 | scarred birthdays

Chapter Six

Chapter Six

"I don't pay you to flirt with my employees. In your office, Brett."

"But sir, it's already six-"

"It's 5.55, Brett. Did you even attend elementary school?"

Wow. When did Zach become so rude?

Brett looks at the ground and sighs before mumbling a 'sorry, sir' and leaving. Brett's face has turned red from embarrassment and I see Julia's eyes follow him outside. She looks concerned, Zach really didn't have to snap like that.

"Miss Sallow, in my office, now." Zach grits out before walking away in angry strides, I realize how he didn't say anything to Julia. I mean, she wasn't working either.

It really shouldn't matter and maybe I am just overthinking.

Julia throws me a mischievous wink and a small smirk. I roll my eyes and follow Zach to his office, feeling anxiety bubbling inside me. Is he mad at me?

He leans against the table and waits for me to enter. I close the door behind me and turn to Zach, taking in his enraged green eyes and clenched jaws.

"Come here." I hesitantly walk to him, taking my time.

"Closer," he grits out. I take a few steps to him. He surprises when he grabs my wrist and pulls me between his legs.

So professional.

Not that I am complaining. My heart beats wildly and I feel butterfly in my stomach at the closeness.

"How's your knee?" My eyes widen at his question, I thought he'd say something about what happened with Brett earlier.

Bipolar much?

"It doesn't hurt anymore, does it?" his eyes look directly at mine and I shake my head. It doesn't hurt much. His eyes don't lose the rage but I see something else in there.

Seven years is a long time. I should have gotten over him. But why am I still feeling like this? Why am I breathing so heavily? Why do I want so desperately for him to kiss me with those lips?

Why do I even want him?

"Ella, I just... I think I still-," Zach groans and pulls his hair in frustration. I still what? Complete it, Zach. Please. I beg in my mind. But instead, he pushes me away and walks to his side of the table. He takes his suit and walks outside the door before calling me.

I walk to him with wobbly knees, my heart was still not calm.

The ride home was uncomfortable. We wouldn't look at each other and the atmosphere was so damn hot and electric. Once we reached, I took off to the room he'd given me, without even looking back.