Chapter 2

“I looked at an angel today, but the angel could not see me. The angel was more amazing than beautiful, like the best forgotten dream.” Delano Johnson, Words That Changed the World.

---

Chapter Two

Elena hungrily helped herself to two boiled eggs and a milky cup of tea the next morning. The table was absolutely filled with all sorts of delicious breakfast foods. She was sure to keep her uniform clean. She felt very professional. She and Marisol had helped each other to tuck their dark hair underneath the white maids’ caps they had been given.  

Mr Clarke properly introduced Elena and Marisol to the rest of the staff before he began what Sarah, the head housemaid, referred to as the daily address. Sarah was a nice young woman. Elena guessed that she was in her early twenties.  

“As you all know,” began Mr Clarke, “today is the day that Master David returns from Cambridge.” Subtle happy cheers were exchanged around the table. Elena presumed this Master David was a well-liked man. “I want everything to be spotless. His bedchamber will also need fresh linens, dusting and polishing. He is not expected until noon so Sarah, why do you not use that time to show Elena and Marisol how we expect an Ascot bedchamber to be presented?”

Sarah obediently nodded.

“Mrs Weston,” he continued, turning to the cook who was standing in the doorway of the kitchen, “Her Grace has requested Master David’s favourite for dinner this evening.”

“The treacle tart is already made and we are about to start on the pies,” replied Mrs Weston.

This Master David had a sweet tooth, Elena observed.

Mr Clarke continued to give orders to the staff, instruction them on which rooms needed to be prepared and cleaned. When he was finished, the footmen went upstairs to prepare the dining room for breakfast while the maids dispersed to lay and light the fires.

Sarah brought Elena and Marisol to the laundry room. The room was large and square. In the centre was a large wooden bench. Two large tubs with their accompanying washboards sat on the bench. Elena was very familiar with the washboard. She had been doing her own laundry for years as practice for when they left Spain. If she were ever needed in the laundry then Elena would know what to do.

On the far side of the room was a sat of several shelves. On the shelves were clean, folded sheets and pillow slips.

“If Mr Clarke ever tells you to change the linens, here is where you come,” explained Sarah as she collected a set for Master David’s room. “Once we have removed the sheets we will bring them back to the laundry to be washed.” Sarah smiled as she handed the clean linens to Marisol. “If I may, what brings you to Ascot?” she asked curiously.

Together, the three women left the laundry with the linens, clean cloths, and a feather duster.

“Nothing in particular,” replied Marisol. “We were looking for work. A gentleman we met along the way pointed us in the direction of Ascot.”

Sarah led them to the narrow servants’ staircase. These were the stairs that the servants had to use. Using the grand staircases in the house was forbidden. They began to ascend, heading up to the third floor.

“You have found a good house, I promise,” said Sarah confidently. “Their Graces are good people. They are very good to us.”

“What do you mean by ‘Grace’?” Elena asked curiously. She had heard that name several times and she was unsure of its meaning.