Chapter 8

“How many more of us are faking the facade? How many more of us are pretending to be something we're not? Even better, how many of us will have the courage to be ourselves regardless of what others think?” Katie McGarry, Dare You To

---

Chapter Eight

Gabriela had requested that Elena be made her attendant for the duration of her stay at Ascot. She had also requested that Elena be excused from her housemaid duties so that she could attend Gabriela always.

Mr Clarke allowed it, of course. Who was he to argue with a princess?

Several of the housemaids were quite jealous of Elena. She was a mere housemaid when several of the other maids, more senior than her, had experience and proper training as lady’s maids. Elena had only received the position because of her ethnicity.

The four maids who seemed most angry with Elena were the four Danish maids – Sofie, Maja, Mathilda and Josefine. They, of course, had been brought on their Prince’s voyage to tend to the princess and Gabriela had all but dismissed them.

Marisol was more relieved than anything. She had been sure that Gabriela would have revealed her secret the minute that she learned Elena was Princess Elena.

“But she is Gabriela,” Marisol hissed in Spanish, keeping their conversation discreet and uninterpretable for the other servants sitting at the dining table around them enjoying their dinners. “She is horrid and unkind. She had not said a nice word to you since before I came to the palace as a child!

“I know,” whispered Elena in Spanish. “She has confessed to being jealous of me.”

Marisol pursed her lips. “Do you think she will give you away? Is she only fooling you? Does she want to expose you at the proper moment?”

Elena hoped her sister would not be that cruel. “No,” she said with faith. “I believe she is on my side. I believe she understands. She offered to take me to the Danish Court with her as one of her ladies. I would be under her protection.”

Marisol’s eyes widened. “Denmark?” she repeated. “Will you go?”   

Elena still had not decided on going to Denmark or not. She had several weeks to decide. If, at the end of Gabriela’s stay, she decided that leaving for Denmark was the wisest choice, then she would go. She had to be clever. She could not change her plans for any handsome Englishman. She had run a long way from Spain and Portugal, if need be, she would keep running. She had to.

As Gabriela had said, “The truth will come out,” whispered Elena, “it always does.”

“You will speak English at this table, please, Elena and Marisol,” Mr Clarke said sternly.

“Yes, Mr Clarke,” replied Elena and Marisol in obedient unison.

“Good work today, everyone,” commended Mr Clarke at the conclusion of their meal. “The house was impeccably presented, everything ran smoothly, just as dinner will this evening. Footmen to the dining room. The china, crystal and silver are all already upstairs.” The footmen all rose from the bench seat and proceeded to head towards the stairs. As if on cue, two bells rang for the lady’s maids, one belonging to the Duchess of Ascot and the other belonging to the bedchamber in which Gabriela was staying.

“Rosemary,” prompted Mr Clarke, “to the Duchess. Elena, to the Princess.”

Both Rosemary and Elena rose from the table. Marisol gave Elena an encouraging smile. Once Rosemary and Elena were clear of the dining room, the young lady’s maid spoke. “We have not yet been properly introduced,” she said quietly. “I am Rosemary Dawes, Her Grace’s lady’s maid.”