fifteen

Leo

Leo

I've arranged for Kolby and I to hang out today. We've been meaning to, but we haven't had a chance to due to schedule complications with work and other planned events. We're meeting at the taco truck during his break from one of the local stores in the area. He hasn't quite confirmed where he works, but I'm assuming it's at the hiking gear shop. It just goes with his whole outdoorsy, mountain-man vibe he gives off.

"Kolby," I say, sitting across from him at the picnic table. "Still haven't shaved, I see."

He grins behind his reflective sunglasses as he strokes his beard that's gotten seemingly longer since the last time I saw him. "Wasn't planning on it," he replies. "And I'm still not. The ladies dig it, Leo. It's a trend right now."

I snort in disapproval, noting my perfectly shaven jawline. The fact that beards are supposedly a "trend" makes me not want one even more. As much as I hate to stand out, I prefer to not follow society's norms when I have the choice. "Whatever you say."

Kolby eyes me up. "You were on the brink of one you know," he drawls, coaxing his own beard. "One day, you'll understand the masculinity of having a beard."

I severely doubt that, but I don't say anything. "So," I say, swinging my legs up onto the bench and leaning back so I can bask in the heat of the sun. It's going to be a sad day when summer ends and the cold creeps in. "How was work?"

"I should be asking you that question," Kolby muses as a girl sets down two orders of fish tacos in front of us. "Thanks, Hol."

The girl, Hol, shoots him an unimpressed glare. Or, at least, that's what someone would think. Judging by the infatuated look in her eyes and the breeziness to her tone when she makes a comment about being done with special deliveries, I can tell there's something going on beneath the surface here. Especially when I glance at Kolby and see the mesmerized look on his face.

I raise an eyebrow in interest as she walks away, cash from Kolby in hand. "Care to explain what that was?" I press.

He clears his throat and tears his gaze away from Hol's slender figure. "N-nothing," he stutters.

Scoffing, I shake my head. "That was definitely not nothing."

"What's it to you?" he counters. "You keep refusing to tell me anything about Aria Madden. Why should I say anything about Hollis to you?"

I rub the back of my neck and sigh. "Fair enough." Then, just to see if he'll take the bait, I bring up Aria. "Did you hear she's been named captain?"

His eyes widen slightly as he takes a bite of his taco. The words that come from his mouth are muffled from the food, but I can still make them out.

"Of course I'm being serious," I reply, picking any bits of cilantro out of the tacos in front of me. I don't know why the heck people enjoy this stupid herb. It tastes like soap. I don't understand why someone would want to ruin a perfectly good taco with something so disgusting.

"Dude," Kolby says, reaching out and grabbing the bits of cilantro from my plate. "Are you from some other planet? Who the hell doesn't like cilantro?"

I raise one finger and tilt my hand to the side. "Me," I reply. "It tastes like soap. I hate it."

He piles the cilantro on the tacos before him. "You're missing out on several health benefits, Leo.  Cilantro is an excellent source of antioxidants and contains lots of vitamin C."

"You sound like my aunt," I reply, taking a bite of the taco that has now redeemed itself. It's as delicious as it was the first time now that the soapy herb is gone. "I'll stick to oranges for my source of vitamin C, and blueberries for antioxidants."

He shakes his head. "You're missing out."

"Trust me," I laugh. "I'm not."

Kolby squints at me. "We can agree to disagree. Anyways, the fact that Aria Madden has been made captain doesn't surprise me. Her dad was captain of the Calgary Flames. And judging by the way she plays hockey, I know she's inherited the majority of her skills from her dad."

"That's not necessarily true," I frown, setting my food down. "Maybe she gets her leadership skills from her mom."

"Bro," he says, rolling his eyes. "We're talking about Luke Madden here. He's a legend."

"So what?" I ask, my voice deadly calm. If there's one thing I hate, it's people who disregard mothers. "That doesn't mean Aria grew up following her dad around and wanting to be exactly like him. Her mom was obviously in the picture as well." I pause, shaking my head. "You know what? This is stupid. We don't have the right to define how she was raised or who she was raised by. Just...Just don't think like that. Moms put a helluva lot of work into birthing and raising their kids. Give them the credit they deserve for once."

Kolby gapes at me. I don't think he was expecting me to hop onto the defensive side, but I don't care. It's unfair how women aren't given the credit they deserve for raising their children. Aria wouldn't even be here if it weren't for Rosa, who seemed like a sweet woman for the brief ten seconds I spoke with her the other night.

I feel like I should be cutting Kolby some slack, but slack is the reason why inequality hasn't been completely eradicated.

"I...I wasn't..." he takes a deep breath. "Wow, Leo. I didn't realize you were so feminist."

I suppress a snort. If he thinks that's what "being feminist" means, he's sadly mistaken. "Not even close," I reply. "But seriously. Don't give all the credit to Luke. I met her dad and I have a feeling he wouldn't be entirely pleased with that statement at all. Aria, on the other hand, would kick your ass if you gave all the credit to her dad, I'm sure." I pick up the taco and take another bite. I quickly wipe away a smudge of pico de gallo from the corner of my mouth. "Trust me, she could take both of us down and not even break a sweat."

Kolby stays silent for several seconds, and then begins to laugh. "Damn, bro," he says. "You are whipped."

"I'm not whipped," I reply. "I just like her...a lot."

As much as I hate to admit it, to prove Kolby somewhat correct, I have to after the conversation with my family. After the way Aria kissed me back.

"Seems like it," Kolby responds. "So what are you gonna do about that? No offence, man, but you're entirely the opposite of her."

I sigh, running a hand through my hair. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go from here. I know the kiss meant a lot to the both of us, but I don't know how I'm supposed to act upon it. Aria and I are going to be spending a lot of time together within the next few days, completing the bucket list and making our relationship stronger. My biggest problem is how much I enjoy having Aria as I friend; I fear that very fact is going to hold me back from taking it to the next step like I want to.

"I don't know, Kolby," I reply, staring off in the distance, at the summit of Blackcomb Peak. "I don't have a freaking clue."