XXXII

Chapter 32 | EAVESDROPPING AND FRESH TRACKS

Matthias.

You've got to be kidding me.

Well, I guess it was only inevitable I'd run into him some time.

When we make eye contact, he smiles, gesturing to me. "So, he didn't kill you, eh?"

I purse my lips, wondering if he meant for that to be funny while I recall what Vaughn said.

And, so, because it's just the three of us in the room, I decide that I'll bring it up point-blank.

"So, I heard you're into dog fights, eh?"

His torso freezes, his arms and shoulders slowly drooping down, coming into a defensive stance, and I hear Nina make an almost startled noise from behind me.

"...That sociopath told you about that one night, huh?" He says. "Well, listen, that was a mistake. I've changed, and I regret what I did."

"Why do you call him that?"

"Because he's a total recluse. Shoots arrows at people. Creepily silent, not to mention. Total psycho."

I don't waste much time with my reply, seeing as how trusty ol' sarcasm never fails to come through for me. "Ah, yes. You're right. Vaughn is a total psycho. How dare he want to get away from the village filled with girls who stalk him and guys who attack him and his dog with broken beer bottles?"

He scoffs, rolling his eyes. "You've known him for what, a week now? Why are you defending him? You can't possibly know his character at all."

Well, he's got me there. Guess it's time to switch back to talking about him being an animal abuser. "My original goal wasn't to defend him at all. I just wanted to talk to you about you attacking him and his poor dog."

He rolls his eyes again, "I said I regret what I did, alright? Now I'm done talking to you about it."

Watching him walk past me and to the other side of the bar, I figure I should be on my way now. I mean, it is 12:16 already. Plus, Nina needs to take Matthias's order. And, I don't really want to be near him.

Besides, I'll be back soon. Nina can answer my question then.

Standing up, I struggle to scoop up the two duffle bags, slinging one strap around each shoulder. "Well, I should be going now."

Nina nods, standing up also. "But I thought you wanted me to answer your question?"

"Well, if you have time," I say. "Otherwise it's fine."

She nods, walking us over to the door and away from Matthias, who she tells me 'can wait.'

"The last day I saw your uncle, I was in Rachel's room, straightening up. He comes in, looking panicked. Tells me he has to show me something on his camera. But then we're interrupted by Henry coming into the tavern and yelling that Rachel's missing. I run out, he follows, and we all go outside. I..." She trails off, lost in her own thoughts.