28: Macaroons

The first round of the Sweet Treats Competition arrived in no time.

Walking into the building where the competition was taking place was like walking into a new world. Considering it was the main building of one of the biggest culinary schools in Tokyo, it was exceptionally large and extravagant. Every nook and cranny was polished to the point of perfection. Even the floorboards were shiny enough to make out blurry reflections.

"So pretty!" I exclaimed, beaming as I adjusted my bag on my shoulder. "Everything's sparkling! Like another world!"

I darted forward.

"Must explore—"

"Wait." Koyuki yanked me back to his side. "Did you already forget why we're here? We came to bake. Not get ourselves lost."

I bloated my cheeks like a pufferfish. Then childishly flailed my arms. "We still have time don't we? Let me run around! I want to run around!"

"How old are you?!"

"Seventeen."

"Then act like it!"

"Teru."

I pinned my gaze forward. Chiaki stood in front of a tall piece of art. I knocked my neck back, taking in the glorious sight.

Macaroons the size of boulders, all stacked on top of one another in a unique design. There was also a sign pasted onto it, indicating actual macaroons were being passed out a safe distance from here.

I ripped from Koyuki's hold and bounded to Chiaki's side.

"Maybe it's for the participants," I suggested giddily.

"I love this place already."

"You two love anything dessert related," Koyuki mumbled as he sauntered up behind us. "It's like you've forgotten we're the ones who have to bake today."

I glanced over my shoulder. He was fiddling with the collar of his dress shirt, eyes shifting left and right, taking in passing groups donned in various school uniforms. He was the most fidgety I'd seen him. Did spotting our competitors freak him out more than necessary?

A smirk upturned the corners of my lips. I could have fun with this.

In a heartbeat, I stood from my position then creeped up from his blind side. His attention was glued ahead, his head in the clouds. He didn't notice me at all.

Taking that as my chance, I shot out my hands.

He emitted a high-pitched screech of surprise upon contact with his waist.

"T-Teruhashi?" he half-shouted, twisting his torso. "What are you— Hahaha!"

His laughter resounded louder than I anticipated. Although we'd garnered the looks of onlookers, I didn't relent to tickling him senseless.

"St-stop—" he pleaded through breaths.

"Nope," I replied, slyly smirking whilst suppressing his attempts to break free. "Not until you laugh all the nervousness right out of you."

"I-I'm serious," he heaved, the biggest grin slapped across his face.

He wrestled to get my hands off of him but I didn't relent.

"What? You want me to tickle you some more? Sounds good to me."

"T-Teruhashi!"

I found myself giggling before long. Possibly because I hadn't expected Koyuki to be so ticklish. Either way, after enjoying myself to the fullest, I reached for his armpits to deliver the final blow.