36: Hot Pot

Where in the world have I ended up?

"Thanks for the ride."

"There's no way I could turn down a request from your mom to pick you up." The man seated in the driver seat of the sleek black car flashed Nori a full-blown grin. "It was nice seeing you, Norihise."

"You too," he responded. "Take care."

The car pulled out of the driveway at that, zigzagging along the winding stone path all the way back to the front gate. Stock-still and gaping with eyes wider than saucers, I did my all to digest the colossal building hailed before me.

The house loomed proudly, flanked by rows of multicoloured flowers, swaying gently to the breeze. Nearby, a delicate marble fountain stood, the soft tinkling of the water resonating in the surrounding silence.

It was incredible. I couldn't move.

However, oblivious to my shock, Nori hiked his backpack on his shoulders then strolled toward the doors.

Only partway did he realize I wasn't following.

"Angel?"

Jolting to my senses, I stumbled after him. We entered the darkened house to which the lights flickered on automatically. I nearly jumped from my skin. Everything in sight was sparkling. The glass chandelier, the shiny marbled floors, the twisty staircase.

My jaw was hanging limp as Nori ambled into the open kitchen where he set his bag down on a nearby chair. I hastened after him and tugged his sleeve.

"Nori, this is going to sound crazy but I think I hit my head or something."

He cocked an amused brow. "How come?"

"First with the fancy car, and now, being here—in this... abode of wealth. I have to be dreaming. This is all too out of my league!"

Indifferent to my panic, the corners of his lips stretched high. "What to do, then. Assuming you are dreaming, it should be my responsibility to wake you up."

He lifted my chin with his forefinger, forcing my eyes to his.

"What would you like? A kiss?"

"Honestly, being smacked by a pan or doused in cold water sounds perfect."

My neck whipped in the direction of the kitchen sink. I was drenching my face in freezing water in no time. Refreshed, I parted my eyelids for the second time, only to find that nothing had changed.

"Angel," Nori called before I could dare repeat the action. He dabbed a paper towel he'd collected nearby onto my cheeks and face, unable to stifle a laugh. "You're awake. This is reality."

My mouth moved, wordlessly. "And this is your house?"

"It is."

"S-so you're filthy rich?"

"I wouldn't say "filthy rich" but I do live comfortably." He cast the drenched napkin into the trash bin. Then rested his elbows against the counter and slyly knocked his head to the side. "My parents are actually in show business. My mother is an actress and my father, a talk show host. Hayami and Keita Shiro—"