c.7

"This still doesn't explain anything," I point out after getting over my flustered reaction. Adrian sighs deeply before running his fingers through James' hair, ruffling up his curls.

      "I own Raines Inc, passed on by my father, Lincoln Raines. It's an architectural company that has been pretty successful for the last forty or so years and I pretty much attract the radio stations, paparazzi, news... You name it." 

      I'm not sure I should label his explanation as self-confidence or arrogance. So, he is a famous business entrepreneur. He ends up on famous magazine covers and does a lot of logistics and statistics, maths and design. When I think about it, I actually admire the line of architecture, it's a gorgeous interest.

      "So what other magazine covers have you ended up on?" My lips twitch in a smirk as I prop my chin up on the heel of my palm, staring at James.

      "Forbes, Times, Cosmopolitan, GQ Men... Do you want me to continue?"

      I return his smile and burst out laughing, coaxing James to mirror my actions by squealing. Adrian chuckles along, running a hand through his hair as I try to regain my composure. 

      "You look a lot better when you smile." I say finally.

      I meant what I said. His boyish grin stretched brightly on his face when James and I started laughing. He looked so carefree, much unlike how I first met him. At my comment, he clears a gruff throat and turns away to fuss with James' loose collar.

      "I think your vegetables are done."

      I thought he was trying to distract me from the conversation but the loud bubbling of water and spitting droplets change my mind. Ruffling James hair, I cross over to the pantry and uncover the lid. Definitely boiled.

      Adrian has given up. Around his mouth, James has his meal smeared along his rosy cheeks and chubby double chin. He got that from his father too, I mentally note.

      "You do it. He won't eat." Adrian pouts like a child as he frowns at James, who merely cackles at his displeasure. 

      I laugh at their exchange. "Okay, you hold him."

      Adrian slides James off the marble countertop, now smudged with mashed potato and blended broccoli, and settles him comfortably in his lap.

      "Stay still, punk." He growls teasingly. James tilts his head up and grins sweetly at his dad, grazing his chin with his little tennis ball hands.

      Adrian groans at his son's cute behaviour and I let out a chuckle, shaking my head.

      "James?"

      At my soft beckon, his blue gaze falls on me. Having got his attention, I use the plastic KFC spoon, the safest option I could find, to scoop up the blended mixture of mashed potatoes and broccoli.

      I wave the spoon teasingly near his nose. James squeals and tries to catch the pesky instrument but I quickly withdraw it and smile menacingly.

      "Open up," I encourage him by opening my own mouth, widening my eyes and nodding accordingly.

      James seems amused by my strange gaping but nonetheless follows my example, his little jaw hanging open and showing his gummy gnashes. For the first time, I see two little bottom front teeth poking up from his gums.

      I carefully slip the end of the spoon into his awaiting mouth and allow him to trap it with his lips. Adrian tenses, watching with sudden anticipation as I pull the cleaned spoon.