Chapter 17

The day ended as a usual snooze. Jeremy hadn't come to school today because apparently he was sick but we all know he probably slept in after doing god knows what to a some girl the night before. So I ended up eating lunch in the library. And to be honest, it wasn't so bad. I did get a few eyes but it was actually pretty peaceful, compared to the roaring I'm faced with every afternoon in the lunch hall.

I threw my backpack into the boot of my car and slung my practice bag over my back just in time for practice. In the stadium, the coach's angry voice echoed off the walls and I spotted him in the far back of the pavilion talking on the phone. I quickly went into the locker rooms, changed into my practice clothes and went out to shoot a few hoops before the others came. A few minutes later Jeremy came in through the stadium doors with one of our teammates, looking a little upset which was totally not normal for him.

"Woah Jeremy, you okay..?"

He trudged over to me grumpily and dropped his bag on the floor and just slumped onto the floor next to me. He simply shook his head in response.

"What happened...?"

He took a few moments before very grumpily replying "Jemmica turned me down"

"Jemmica...?"

"Yeah the hot nerdy chick in your Chemistry class"

And with that I couldn't help but laugh. I was laughing so hard I found myself rolling on the court.

Jeremy had never been turned down by ANY woman he had asked out. But Jemmica Reynolds had also never said yes to ANYONE in our school before. She was definitely the prettiest out of all the nerds, but she also had an attitude to beat the whole population of girls in our school. I remember the only interaction I'd ever had with her was when I was lab partner for a day, and she'd definitely left me wanting to storm out of the classroom more than once that day. Honestly the only reason I was laughing right now was because I was shocked Jeremy even had the guts to go up to ask Jemmica out.

"Okay it's NOT FUNNY JAKE!"

"Yeah okay okay you're right I'm sorry". I wiped out a few tears I had let out in the middle of my laughing.

"I can't believe she said no..."

"Oh come oN Jeremy she's never gone out with anyone in school, why would she wanna go out with YOU?"

"Ok first of all, that was rude cuz I am visually FLAWLESS. And second, it's a given she's never gone out with anyone else in school cuz none of them is actually as good looking as me. Don't you think?" He gave me a coy wink and I laughed in his face again.

"Aight man whatever you say"

I threw the ball I was holding at him and he barely managed to catch it.

"Go get changed, or you're gonna get an earful from coach"

I motioned towards Coach who was still on an angry conversation with the man on the phone. Jeremy threw the ball back at me, jumped back up on his feet and headed to the locker room, dragging his duffel bag behind him.

After three hours of a sweaty practice, we thanked Coach and headed to the locker rooms to get into a clean change of clothes.

A cold breeze hit my face the second we stepped out of the stadium. The sky was gloomy and it looked like it would rain in a matter or seconds.

"How you getting home?" I asked Jeremy who'd just gotten of the phone.

"That was Kyle, he said he'll be here in a few."

"Oh cool when did Kyle get back home?"

"Last night actually. He just got his semester break and says he wants to spend it 'catching up with everyone'. Meaning he's just here to get his gang back together to go partying all night." Jeremy ended with a roll of his eyes.